Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weber 40 doce carbs

Question Weber 40 doce carbs

I've just bolted on a pair of Weber 40 doce carbs . The car started right away and runs well at low rpm , it loses power at higher speeds , now I'm told the carbs like about 3.5 lbs fuel pressure and my MB manuel says the fuel pump puts out 2.0 to 2.8 lbs pressure . Has anyone else done a weber conversion ? and have you had to change or modify the fuel pump ?

Thanks , Nick Newell
    1958 190 SL

Bill Lamb
    Lots of members have made the 40DC0E weber conversion, and there have been several threads about it. I have it on my car, and it runs great without power loss. There are a number of sites that give good info on how the Webers work. I suggest you check out some of the threads here on Webers, and also check out these sites.

On the other hand, Ron Rapp of SLautohaus will win you over with Solexes

http://www.weber-carburetors.com/
    http://www.carburetorshop.com/Rebuild/rebuild.html
    http://teglerizer.com/dcoe/index.html
    http://www.weber-carburetors.com/dia...OEDiaginfo.asp

One of them (I forget which one) offers a very good book on all the webers, including the DC0E

Nick, I have Webers on my car. Only have a few hundred miles on them, but seems to have plenty of power. You may want to check the performance of your fuel pump. Mine has the original pump.
    Steve Bainbridge
    1959 190SL

Bill Lamb
    My car has an old VW Beetle fuel pump! It fits, it works. I have never measured the fuel pressure...

bstreep
    I have a replacement fuel pump on mine (without the lever), and I put an inexpensive fuel pressure regulator on mine because the pressure was too high. It's set at the recommended 2.5 lbs. If you want to borrow my fuel pressure gauge, just send me an email... Only been used once!

Thanks everyone for your input , one more question I've installed the conversion kit to the old air log and am still using the original air cleaner . The ' stuffing' is getting brittle and I'm afraid soon will get sucked into the new carbs - what do you guys use to fit into the aircleaner ?

Thanks again & thanks for the offer of the fuel pressure ***** - looks like I won't need it now ,
    Nick

Ainsworth
    Nick, in reference to the air cleaner, follow this thread I started last year.
    http://forums.190slgroup.com/showthr...=&threadid=485
    I Replaced mine with the K&N filter element. A noticable difference.

Bill Lamb
    And with the K&N filters, the intake noise is impressive when you floor it. It realy SNARLS like a honest-to-goodness sports car.

If you have 2.8 psi this is not your problem. Have you driven it without the air filter connected?
    Robby Ackerman

Pea Soup -- Resurrected from Hurricane Ida

Hi Robby ,
    Haven't tried it without the old air cleaner off yet . The car is currently laid up with other work being done . I hope to try out some of the members suggestions by mid April . i feel that changing the air cleaner has to be done to avoid having the old horse hair end up in a new carb.

Thanks again for the suggestions ,
    Nick Newell , 1958 190SL

PS my SL is a euro model imported from Holland without the North Americam mods

Hi Guys ,
    I finally got my weber issues resolved . First mistake I made was examining the jets in only one carb and assuming the second carb would be the same . Using Jim Villers' guide I found one carb had the correct main jet 1.15 then later after much frustration finding out the second carb had main jets of 1.30 and different emulsion tubes . Once this was corrected I found I couldn't balance the carbs - the throttle linkages were the problem . I made new ones up using 'Papco' solid type throttle ball joints and 1/4 28 threaded rod - worked great .

Thanks for your help and suggestions ,

-Nick
    1958 190SL 'Deugniet'

Nick ... are you a member yet? The advice is free but we are a club with a very interesting Newsletter and other events. Print the membership form and mail it in.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911

Just about had the car burn up tonight .
    The banjo fitting on the front carb came loose and sprayed gas on the exhaust manifold and generator . I'm thinking must be the new paint burning off engine parts causing that smell . finally I stopped & checked - TG . The manifold was sizzeling with raw gas on it . Do you guys use lock tight on the banjo fittings ? I know I cranked them up tight - I've put about 200 klms on these carbs so far and there has been no problem .

Thanks for your info ,

-Nick

1958 190 SL
    'Deugniet'

Bill Lamb
    Never had THAT particular problem. I suppose locktight might be a good idea - until the time comes you have to remove the fitting!

There should be a way to safety things like that. Safety wire is used extensivly in aircraft work.
    Last edited by Bill Lamb; 05-12-2003 at 02:40 PM.

bstreep
    I had the SAME situation happen a couple of months ago. Going 85, I noticed condensation on the hood. From the gasoline spraying out of the fitting onto the hood, carbs, exhause, etc.!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast