Thread: Darryl's License Plates - the plate nazi!

Darryl's License Plates - the plate nazi!

Wow. I haven't had a conversation like that in a while.

I called them on Monday to ask about sending my plates in. I asked what the lead time was and was told "we have a rush service if you need it". I asked what the regular lead time was, and was told "send your plates in, and we will call you back when we get a chance to look at them". So I sent my plates in. By the way, they were good enough that there were no extra work charges.

I was told it would be $170 +/- and that the lead time was 3 months! Holy carp! But, if I was willing to pay an additional $70, it would only be 3 weeks. When I complained, I was told I either I could take one of the options, or they would ship the plates back to me for $12 and change (it cost me $5.35 to send them priority mail). So I asked to speak to Darryl. I told Darryl that if he'd told me 3 months when I called on Monday, I would have kept the plates and sent them this summer (we don't drive cars without A/C here in the summer), and that I specifically asked about the lead time. Darryl got ticked at me for complaining, saying no one has had this problem before. When he handed me back to, I presume his wife, I got a "no plates for you, I need a credit card number to send your plates back". Wow.

Obviously, Darryl does good work. However, my problem is that I specifically asked about the lead time when I sent them out, and was then pressured to accept the rush fee once he had the plates. I thought this was unfair, and still do. To add insult to injury, I'm out the shipping both ways. That ain't right.

Moral of the story: If you use Darryl, be really careful...
    Bill Streep
    San Antonio, TX
    1957 190SL
    2009 CLK550
    2014 E550
    2014 E63s Wagon

Re: Darryl's License Plates - the plate nazi!

John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

I just looked at reviews for Darryl's... I hope I actually get my plates back. Seems like my experience is not unusual, and that if I'd said "3 months is ok" it would probably have taken over a year. And based on reviews, I'm not the only person who has had this problem. Folks have had to file claims with the DA to get plates back. It seems if you pay the rush fee, you get your plates. You don't pay it, you don't get your plates for months or years. Interestingly, he advertises on ebay. He has so much work that it takes a year to get plates done, but still pays ebay to get new business. Hmm.
    Bill Streep
    San Antonio, TX
    1957 190SL
    2009 CLK550
    2014 E550
    2014 E63s Wagon

A quite pleasant surprise, my plates arrived back today. Funny though, he sent in a thin paper Priority envelope, for $12. I sent in a well protected cardboard Priority Letter for less than half that...

After a whole bunch more research, it seems that it's a classic bait and switch with Darryl. He won't quote a turnaround time, saying that he needs to see your plates first. Then if you really want them back in less than many months, you have to pay the upgrade charge. And his comment to me that I was the only one that's complained in 28 years is bull. Obviously.
    Bill Streep
    San Antonio, TX
    1957 190SL
    2009 CLK550
    2014 E550
    2014 E63s Wagon

Are we talking old license plates or data plates on the car? Why redo old license plates? Sorry just trying to understand?

thanks
    Frank

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

In the state of Washington you can license a classic car to old plates from the year the car is. I had plates from 1956 restored and I just licensed them to my car.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Sounds like Darryl needs some competition!
    Cecil Rives
    1956 190SL
    1986 560SL
    1993 Falco F8L
    1996 Morgan mare

Bill ... I just get new plates made; about $80 with a discount (I can email you the link). They look perfect. The downside is that they are stamped out of aluminium so they are not as rigid as steel plates. http://www.licenseplates.tv/
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Bill Ainsworth

Quote Originally Posted by JimVillers View Post
    Bill ... I just get new plates made; about $80 with a discount (I can email you the link). They look perfect. The downside is that they are stamped out of aluminium so they are not as rigid as steel plates. http://www.licenseplates.tv/
    Jim,
    Have seen the repro aluminum plates offered at a couple of the auto swap meets out here. They do look good, I think technically (at least in CA) they're intended for "display purposes" only. I'd like to get a set from your source, but CA is not on the list? Would like to store the originals and use the repros. as theft can be an issue.
    I had Darryl restore a couple sets of plates years ago. The process at the time was pretty painless. It took maybe 3 weeks, cost was reasonable and the end product was great. One of my CA black plates was in bad shape and required a fair amount of body work - welding holes, cracks, straightening etc. I can see how the cost could vary. Too bad the service has declined.

Bill .... Interesting, I never noticed that they did not provide California plates. They also do not provide Texas plates so my comment must be for residents of other states.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

That's too bad, Jim. Technically, here in Texas, you can't use repainted plates, either. But everyone does.

Darryl is a guy you do NOT want to deal with. Just a classic "bait and switch".
    Bill Streep
    San Antonio, TX
    1957 190SL
    2009 CLK550
    2014 E550
    2014 E63s Wagon

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

the guy here in Portland was great. I would recommend him to any one. I don't know how his price compares to others but he was right on time and he supplied the plates. I paid 300 for a matching set of Washington plates fully reconditioned. this also includes 2 small year metal tabs the are inserted into the plate.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)