Re: New Store Item - Weber Adapter Plate

Thanks!! Gerry
    Francesco
    Francesco
    190 SL 1961 - (ex US OZF-810) 121040-10-020522
    Lat. : 43į 58í 25.2156Ē N
    Long. : 10į 10í 6.6396Ē E

So with these adapter plates, what happens to the carb/airlog support strut?

From what I can tell, the upper end of the support strut attaches to third hole on the flange of the second port on the airlog. These adapter plates shift the airlog outboard some amount (10-12 mm?). Seems like the stock support strut might not long enough to reach the new location.

In my particular case it probably doesn't matter. While I carefully packed the airlog away when I put on the Mikunis, I haven't seen the support strut in a long time. I suspect that if I can use these plates with the Mikunis, I am going to end up fabricating my own support strut.
    Frank Stutzman
    '56 190sl (chassis 01186)
    Done with paint, let the wild re-assembly begin!!!
    Boise, id

Quote Originally Posted by stutzman View Post
    So with these adapter plates, what happens to the carb/airlog support strut?

From what I can tell, the upper end of the support strut attaches to third hole on the flange of the second port on the airlog. These adapter plates shift the airlog outboard some amount (10-12 mm?). Seems like the stock support strut might not long enough to reach the new location.
    Any gap in reach could be addressed with washers or a bushing.
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

The adapter plate has provisions for the strut and since it sits in the same position as the air log was originally, the support bracket should fit as before. A bolt 10mm longer may be needed for the increased thickness - adapter plus air log.

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Gerry
    can you tell me what diameter have the 4 holes of the air log? Are they 50 or 51 mm in diameter?
    Thanks!!

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner

Francesco,

I don't have my air log off but if you look at the pictures a posted earlier in this post the 49mm hole is very close to the air log opening. I think this is what Jim's intent was by making the hole the 49mm. I would guess that since the log is a casting this opening will vary.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

I just happened to pull my air log out of a box earlier this afternoon. I measured each of the holes as 52.4 mm.

That's with my very low dollar Harbor Freight digital caliper. I'm not sure how accurate the thing actually is, but I doubt it is more than 1 mm off.
    Frank Stutzman
    '56 190sl (chassis 01186)
    Done with paint, let the wild re-assembly begin!!!
    Boise, id

The important measurement is an M8 bolt; will the bolt go through. The larger the hole in the air log, the more that it has bounced around on the bolt.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A; 1958 190SL "Frosty"

Quote Originally Posted by stutzman View Post
    Now that's an even better idea! We can have our own Mikuni special interest sub-group off to the side somewhere.

That's assuming Jim V. is bringing a set of plates to Winter Tech. Jim?
    Hi Frank,

Look forward to seeing you at Winter Tech, I will bring my Makuniís, original adapter plates, and spare air log and we can play around with them. If we have the new Weber plates, we can see the differences we may need to make.
    Jim Huey
    61 190SL
    81 300SD
    05 CLK500
    67 GTO

Jim .... I sent out a set of adapter plate to California in advance of WinterTech. Bill currently has them so we can evaluate their use on you Makuni carburetors.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A; 1958 190SL "Frosty"

Jim,

How did the plates fit the Makuni carbs? Do we need to make any adjustments and print a sample to test?
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Gerry .... The adapter plates fit the Makuni perfectly and Jim Huey bought the set that I took to California. The plates were a good discussion item after the formal session over beer. Jim brought both a Makuni and a Solex carburetor to help the discussion. Fun. You should have been there.
    Jim Villers

Jim,

I really wanted to be there but I am in the middle of a 100 plastic injection mold tooling release so it wasn't an option. What was the conversation? Was it a good discussion? I would be very interested to hear what everyone's thoughts were.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Gerry ..... You would have enjoyed the discussion in the bar, with a beer, and with the adapter and a Makuni and a Solex carburetor. The adapter fit the Makuni perfectly; the big discussion was the technical aspects of how a carburetor worked (thus the importance of the revisions to the adapter plate). The discussion benefited significantly by the contribution of a retired 3M "Division Scientist" (most senior technical person). Just a fun, an educational exchange.
    Jim Villers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12