Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Store Item - Weber Adapter Plate

New Store Item - Weber Adapter Plate

I am pleased to finally be able to sell the club's Weber adapter plate from our store. Walt Puryear, Gerry Lazo, Ellis Lovell and myself have worked on this design and manufacture. It went through multiple prototype stages, initially being produced with a 3D printing system and then with CNC machining of aluminum. The price is $120 per kit and it is currently available from the Club Store.

This is an engineered adapter plate that joins the Weber DCOE carburetor with the standard aluminum 190 SL air log. This adapter correctly vents the float bowl vent into the air stream ahead of the primary venturi. The adapter also has a hole to utilize the original air log support brace. The kit includes two adapter plates with M6 studs to connect to the air log and Allen head bolts to connect the adapter to the carburetors. ll nuts and lock washers are included.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adapter-Plate.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	432.7 KB 
ID:	29740  
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Re: New Store Item - Weber Adapter Plate

A well done Jim, Walt Gerry and Ellis!
    Bill Jones

Can these adapter plates be used with Makuni carbs
    Jim Huey
    61 190SL
    81 300SD
    05 CLK500
    67 GTO

Jim ..... We have not test fitted the adapters to the Makuni carburetors but they should work. I can send you a set to test and you can buy them if they work and send them back if they do not work.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Quote Originally Posted by JimVillers View Post
    Jim ..... We have not test fitted the adapters to the Makuni carburetors but they should work. I can send you a set to test and you can buy them if they work and send them back if they do not work.
    Jim H -

If you do this, please let the rest of us Mikuni operators (what? all two of us?) know the results.

If you don't do this, I'm willing to give it a try.

For what its worth, the last time I talked to David Latham of Bud's Mercedes they still sold adapter plates for Mikuni's. $90 for a pair of them, plus $150 for a "mounting kit". I have no idea what is in this mounting kit. This would have been about March of last year.
    Frank Stutzman
    '56 190sl (chassis 01186)
    Done with paint, let the wild re-assembly begin!!!
    Boise, id

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

Hello All,

I thought I would add some photos of my installation of the new adapter plates that are in the club store. I did not use the support rod hole, my older Webers had a tapped hole on the bottom side. I fabricated a bracket that supports my carbs using my support rod. You can see it in the photo with no air log installed.

I hope this may help someone make their decision.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No_air_log.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	936.9 KB 
ID:	29753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front_front_view.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	876.5 KB 
ID:	29754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air_log fit 3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	917.7 KB 
ID:	29755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Assy_view.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	29756  
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Quote Originally Posted by JimVillers View Post
    Thanks Jim,

I currently do not have the Makuni's installed on my car and was waiting until I finished rebuilding the 940 block and was going to put on Mukuni's. Frank is ahead of me so he might be a better option for Beta testing. I definitely will buy a set if they work.
    Jim Huey
    61 190SL
    81 300SD
    05 CLK500
    67 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by hueyjk View Post
    I currently do not have the Makuni's installed on my car and was waiting until I finished rebuilding the 940 block and was going to put on Mukuni's. Frank is ahead of me so he might be a better option for Beta testing. I definitely will buy a set if they work.
    Ok, then, it looks like I'm up to bat for team Mikuni!

Before we get to shipping physical parts around, does there exist a CAD drawing of these plates? If so, I could print a simple DXF file, glue it to some cardboard to make a rough template just see if we are close. If we could do this fairly quickly, I could pick up a pair of plates to test for real at WinterTech in a few weeks.

For what its worth, I've been spending the past few cold weeks in front of my CAD station designing some heat shields for my Mikuni's. I am the stage now that I am going to start bending them up and seeing if they fit.
    Frank Stutzman
    Boise, id

Frank, I have a 3d printer. Do you want me to print one and send it to you? It would be out if PLA resin. I can try to print the M6 threads so you can add studs or can tap them yourself.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Quote Originally Posted by stutzman View Post
    Ok, then, it looks like I'm up to bat for team Mikuni!

Before we get to shipping physical parts around, does there exist a CAD drawing of these plates? If so, I could print a simple DXF file, glue it to some cardboard to make a rough template just see if we are close. If we could do this fairly quickly, I could pick up a pair of plates to test for real at WinterTech in a few weeks.

For what its worth, I've been spending the past few cold weeks in front of my CAD station designing some heat shields for my Mikuni's. I am the stage now that I am going to start bending them up and seeing if they fit.
    Frank,

My Makuniís are not mounted. I can bring them to Winter Tech and we can play around with any plates or templates if you want
    Jim Huey
    61 190SL
    81 300SD
    05 CLK500
    67 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by hueyjk View Post
    Frank,

My Makuni’s are not mounted. I can bring them to Winter Tech and we can play around with any plates or templates if you want
    Now that's an even better idea! We can have our own Mikuni special interest sub-group off to the side somewhere.

That's assuming Jim V. is bringing a set of plates to Winter Tech. Jim?
    Frank Stutzman
    Boise, id

Goodmorning everyone!!
    I saw the plates and they are beautiful ... very similar to mine ..!
    I want to know what is the diameter of the No. 2 holes, they seem large..
    Gerry yours are 40DCOE but which Venturi do you use?
    Thanks
    Francesco
    Francesco
    190 SL 1961 - (ex US OZF-810) 121040-10-020522
    Sorry for my "Google" English...

Francesco,

Thank you for the nice words, I am running 28s in mine. If I understand your question correctly is the hole you are asking about is the D shaped hole. If this is correct it is 49mm diameter. One thing I notice when I switched form a 44mm hole to the 49mm D shaped hole was my air/fuel ratio reading appeared to show better signs of stability with the larger diameters. With the old plates it bounced a lot and had a large range. The new plates showed a smaller range with less bouncing. My speculation is that the air flow from the air log is not disturbed going from a large hole to a smaller one. The new plates have a reduction in diameter only at the entry to the carb which is different than having 2 reductions with my old plates. It's been awhile since my fluid dynamics classes but I seem to remember topics about reductions and restrictions being bad for flow.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Hi Gerry,
    I am also tempted to go from my 30 to 28 Venturi. Could you tell me the size of your jets and emulsion tube to start my new carburetion with a good values??
    I was thinking of creating a kind of air horn on the thickness of the plates to reduce turbulence. What do you think about it? My plates have a ō41 mm hole. Do you think it is enough to increase the holes to ō49 to eliminate the turbulence or the idea of the "air horns" could work well?
    Thanks!!
    Francesco
    Francesco
    190 SL 1961 - (ex US OZF-810) 121040-10-020522
    Sorry for my "Google" English...

Francesco,

This is what my fresh motor likes
    Idle F8-45
    Main 125
    Emulsion tubes F2
    Air correction 200

I ended at 1 3/4 to 2 turns on the mixture screws. Some of the research indicates the older Webers like to be around 2 turns. I would open the holes.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast