Thread: Grill for Ď54 300

Grill for Ď54 300

Iím the third generation owner of an early gullwing. Unfortunately, my ancestors werenít very good drivers and tended to employ body shops with limited skill. The bottom line is that the front nose has been repaired and rerepaired so many times that I canít tell what the shape of the grill hole should be. I need the upper portion of the grill and both wings pieces. Fortunately, the center piece has miraculously survived. If anyone would have good pieces, I should be able to get the right shape on the sheet metal. If anyone is willing to part with these pieces I will gladly pay. Also, if anyone has their grill out and could make a template of the grill hole shape, that would be extremely helpful. Iím told that 190s and 300 GWs used the same grill pieces. If Iím wrong, please let me know. Thanks for any help. Tad Brenner email vincentbrough@icloud.com. (PS the carís not for sale.)

Visitor

Re: Grill for Ď54 300

Tad

Close.......but no cigar. Your 300 came originally with the coveted "concave star" grille which is totally unique for the first roughly half of Gullwing production. Every piece is elegantly different than a 190 or 300 roadster. The barrel alone is made from about 18 brass pieces. Don't feel too bad, I recall seeing a memorable Gullwing with one 190 front fender (1" shorter than the other side) . I am guessing you have a flat star?
    Bob West
    '52 300s Coupe
    '60 220se Cab
    '55 300sl

Thanks Bob. Amazingly the concave star has survived intact and without damage! I just need everything that goes around it. Tad

I have some grille wings that are for the 300sl --I thought they were 190sl but when I sold them to a 190sl customer they informed me they were 300sl and they did come in with a lot of 300sl parts as well as the later grille star and barrel assembly ---here is a link to grille wings and the barrel
    http://stores.ebay.com/EUROCARS-MERC...h&_sid=3416208