Thread: rear end install

rear end install

I am installing my rear end by lifting it up into place. The springs are in place (without the shocks). My question is that I have a new rubber block for the center support that I am trying to install. Is there a way to lube the rubber so I can push it into the metal cup (tight fit) inside the trunk without hurting the integrity of the rubber? the center support is into the box but only a little) I plan on installing the rubber block and hopefully getting a few turns on the nut on the center support and then installing the shocks. Then I will jack up the support arms and connect to the body.

thanks for any help
    Frank

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner

Re: rear end install

Frank,

I used talcum powder for all my rubber installations. I made the pieces slide smoothly on the metal surfaces.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Frank .... You have the correct sequence. For me, the rubber block on top is always the hardest. First, check that the lower cup is twisted so that it fits on the support arm. I then use two or three jacks to try to align the support when lifting it into the rubber block. A front jack (near the pinion seal) is the most important to get the support pin vertical. If the pin is not exactly aligned, it will always bind and lift the rubber block. I also will put a couple of small wood blocks between the rubber block and the convertible top boot. Go slow and try to see what is happening. When it is in, you can get a couple of threads on the bolt without the plate. Jack and pull the support up until you can remove the nut and install the plate and lock plate.

Good luck.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A; 1958 190SL "Frosty"

Frank and Jim,
    Good info and timely. I should be reinstalling the rear within a month.
    Thanks!
    Bill Jones

Talc worked great! thanks. I ended up taking the springs off the arms in order to finally allow the center support into place with a plate retainer ring and nut! Tomorrow I will install the springs with the new spring compressor I got from Amazon last night! Then lift the arms up and connect to the frame/body. The axle is held level by the wood frame I constructed with the help from the club!!! Thanks all.

Hmmm spring compressors wrong size...I'll return those...ok got the springs in place without the shocks. Jacked up the control arm but the angle it is at makes impossible to slide the rubber into the cup. If I could pull the axle back a little without pulling the car off the jack stands...lol... I'll have to look at this again. Maybe install the plate and nut on the control arms without the rubber, put the tires on and lower to the ground and let the weight of the car on the tires pull the control arms into place. Remove the nut and cup plate (with the jack stand under the arm out of the way) and install the rubber?

Ok, I am ordering another spring compressor (external this time), I'll let you know how it goes.

Try straps looped around the differential and some anchor point at the rear ( I think I used the bumper brackets), then twist the loops with a stick. I suppose a ratcheting strap would be strong enough do it too.

Walt

I use a ratchet strap, works well and easy to adjust.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A; 1958 190SL "Frosty"

Ok, back on its wheels! yeah. I installed the center through the trunk post first then the rubber on the two struts then the outside compressed springs. Then the shocks. All went smooth!
    thanks all!

It was a great feeling for me to see the car sitting on it's own wheels. I got really motivated when that milestone happened. Congrats.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

It was a great feeling for me to see the car sitting on it's own wheels. I got really motivated when that milestone happened. Congrats.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)