Thread: Weber Adaptor Plate- Club versus Outside

Weber Adaptor Plate- Club versus Outside

Have a question which i would appreciate your input. I finally got my hands on an airlog which is restored, and i am planning to install it for my car which has Weber Carbs. I was looking at the Weber adaptor plates at the Club Store, but also found one at SL Auto (see attached picture). I have two questions...one is there a difference between the plates sold in the Club store and this one on the picture? If yes what is it and how does it effect things? Also any advise/suggestions/ watchouts before i go down this path will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2796.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	29994  

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

Re: Weber Adaptor Plate- Club versus Outside

Sandy,

The club plates are designed to enable the fuel bowl vent hole to be vented into the air intake system. I personally have run both type of adapter plates and I was not able to jet my car to a reasonable air/fuel ratio with the fuel bowl vent hole open to the atmosphere. I did some research on the web and I found a couple of conversations that having atmospheric pressure on top of the fuel in the bowl and the lower pressure in the venturis can be at a such a difference that the fuel is forced into the system rather than being pulled in as intended. I say this first hand when I could not get my car to run with a air/fuel ratio better than about 11 at cruising speeds. Idle I was high 12's to low 13's. 14.7 being the ideal ratio. This was with running 115 main jets. Once I added the club plates I immediately went very lean on my cruise ratio. It was around 17. I ended up having to increase my mains to 125 to get a very stable ratio in the low 14's at cruise.

There is a large thread that discusses this topic in great detail. I also know that the air cleaners Weber sells has the vent hole open to the air intake system behind the air leaner so it brings credibility to our findings.

I know Jim Villers has done quite a bit of work on this as well. He may have more input for you.

I added pictures of the club plates during my install.

Name:	Front_front_view.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	876.5 KB 
ID:	29995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air_log fit.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	877.2 KB 
ID:	29996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front_assy.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	931.3 KB 
ID:	29997  
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

A lot of text. Let me summarize it: The Club ones are the only ones which work correctly. Al the others are made for the trash can.

Ben

Thanks Gerry. I bought the one from the club.

I remind you that the club plates have the hole for mounting the carburetor support bracket...
    Francesco
    Francesco
    190 SL 1961 - (ex US OZF-810) 121040-10-020522
    Sorry for my "Google" English...

In the meantime, I have prepared two plates/trumpets ...

Name:	Piastra_trombetta1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	29999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piastra_trombetta2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	30000  
    Francesco
    190 SL 1961 - (ex US OZF-810) 121040-10-020522
    Sorry for my "Google" English...

Re: Weber Adaptor Plate- Club Need Gasket?

Ok i now have another question. I bought the Weber adaptor plates from the Club Store, have an air log, and the question i now have is do i need the gaskets #9-20 or 9-21 on the attached. When i talked to Jeff he said this is for solex but was not sure for Webers. Please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help. Sandy

Name:	table9-10.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	30036  

Gasket 9-21 is the correct gasket. Think of it as the gasket that fits the air log. If you want a gasket on the other side of the adapter plate, the Weber gasket for the Weber DCOE to an air cleaner will be the correct gasket. These gaskets are not overly important because a little leak of air will just join the air stream from the air cleaner and not affect performance.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Thanks Jim for the quick response. I just ordered 9-21. I will look into the gasket for the other side too. Sandy

One more question please on this. Are there any installation instructions to install the Weber adaptor plates correctly ?If yes where? Sandy

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

Sandy,

I haven't seen any instructions but I have a group of pictures from my installation of the club plates. They are very easy to install. I can send you my pictures if you send me your email. The one portion of the install I didn't do was using the hole for the support bracket. My carburetors had a threaded hole on the bottom so I manufactured a support brace and I support the weight from the bottom of the carbs.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Sandy .... The plates can only be installed one way. The studs go through the bolt holes in the air log and the bolts screw into the Weber body. Bothe adapter plates are identical so there is not a front and rear plate.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Hi Gerry and Jim...I have attached pictures of my carb set up...and air filter set up as of now. I will be installing the plates and airlog. Please let me know if you see anything different or will it be a simple install.
    Gerry i also sent you a PM with my email. Sandy

Name:	9C09E0C7-582B-4477-9163-E14F01E73948.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	30046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6048AD0C-9644-490C-A827-9AA46727D4B7.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	30047