Thread: Santa Fe Convention Registration Open

Santa Fe Convention Registration Open

As many of you know, somethings just take a while to get sorted out. I think that the information is now solid enough to post the Convention Web Page and open up the Convention Registration item in the club store. The link has also been inserted onto the Club's Home Page.

So, what has taken so long. First, there was difficulty with the hotel reservation page. The La Posada was recently purchased by the Marriott Group so everything changed. Rooms were not available, the rates for dates were incorrect and nothing was quick or easy to "fix". The hotel web page now appears to work for the convention dates of May 19-23. Our room rate is $129 plus $12 per day "resort fee" and $10 per day parking. The rate for rooms after the 23rd will be "normal room rate". The "resort fee that is charged on the web site may be higher but it will be adjusted during check-in. If you plan on arriving early, the $129 room rate should apply.

Because of the very high room rate for nights following the convention, plans for the after-the-ball are being totally revised. We will probably not be staying in the Santa Fe area after the convention. Our "Mystery Ball" will be announced when plans have been finalized.

I know a number of members already have their reservations in hand. It is time for the rest of us to to get started.

Post your questions and issues and we will try to get answers or resolutions.

See you in Santa Fe.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

Re: Santa Fe Convention Registration Open

I just got my first quote for transport of my car from Washington state to New Mexico and it is outrageous 6k each way. For that price I am considering driving it and enjoy the trip. Is anyone planning on making the drive from the west coast?

Regards
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

I encourage you to drive to the convention - it's half the fun of the event. Even better if you have another 190 or two for company. Once you make a convention trip you'll be hooked, driving on the open road in these fine old cars. The worst thing that can happen is you have to rent a truck and trailer to haul it home.

With each trip you'll find and sort out issues, becoming more confident in the 190's reliability. Besides, that's what they were made for - touring.

Walt

Try uship.com
    Rich

I have called several transport companies over the years for West Coast to East Coast return trip and found the same answer, about $3 K each way, no discount for round trip or multiple cars from one pick-up. Most - but all - are brokers who then post the job to drivers. Sometimes, drivers bid on the jobs.

Gary, we plan to drive from Carmel / Monterey. I think it's a 2 day drive for us. We drove to Texas and had no problem until the carb linkage fell apart leaving stuff on the road near Flagstaff on the way home.
    Last edited by Jack English; 01-15-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Addition of second paragraph
    Jack English
    1960 #15229 Since 1972
    1971 MBZ 300SEL 6.3 Since 1983
    1999 MBZ 430E Factory Delivery

Hello All,

I made my reservation in Santa Fe and I think I have a plan to bring the car. I am from Southern Colorado so I am going to ship the car to Denver to my brother's house. I will drive it to Santa Fe from Denver and stop to she my mother in Pueblo, CO at the same time.

The plan is to have the car in Denver by Friday the 17th and drive down Saturday and Sunday to Santa Fe. Is anyone else planning on going through Denver at this time? I would like to caravan down.

I found Uship.com very reasonable thanks Rich
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Gerry, if I can get mine done by then, I may drive it out.
    Tyler
    1957 190SL

Tyler

What are the chances you will be done?
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

This is from a recent email:
    I recently sent you an email about lodging at our 190SL Group Convention in Santa Fe, NM. We have been notified that there are no more rooms at the contract price of $129 per night plus fees, the normal price is $268 per night plus fees. If you are planning to attend, and desire this rate, please use this link:
    https://www.marriott.com/event-reser...&app=resvlink/

If you desire an alternative, The Drury Hotel, across the street, has rates from $169 - $229 for the basic rooms for our dates. The Sage Inn in the Rail Yard District, about a 5 minute drive, is a good economical alternative with rates starting at $92 for our dates. The links are:

http://www.druryhotels.com/locations...el-in-santa-fe or 505.424.2175

www.santafesageinn.com or 505.982.5952

The club will be serving breakfast for all members at the La Posada each morning.

If you need assistance, please email Bill Johnson (cbcars@ecentral.com ).
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Boxster 'S'; Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

That's unfortunate. We were leaning toward attending, even without my car (it probably won't be ready by then). This puts us more solidly towards "no". That price is double.
    Bill Streep
    San Antonio, TX
    1957 190SL
    2009 CLK550
    2014 E550
    2014 E63s Wagon

Hello Tyler,

How is the car coming? Do you think you will make the Santa Fe convention?

I tried to send you a private message but your mailbox is full and not allowing any new messages to be delivered.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Hello Everyone,

I plan on heading down to Santa Fe from Denver on the 18th of May. If all goes as planned I will have my car. Is anyone going down at the same time? I am from that area and it would be a great drive as a group.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)