Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Interest in a European 190SL Event

Any Interest in a European 190SL Event

We have received an email about the early stages of a 2020 European evnet sponsored by the 190SL Club of Switzerland and asking if any of our members would be interested in attending. Here is a copy of the email; looks like fun.

Dear Friends & 190 SL Drivers,

Christian Haltner, President Mercedes-Benz Veteranenclub Schweiz and myself, past president Mercedes-Benz SL-Club Switzerland, were asked by Alberto and Laurent to organize an international 190 SL Rallye in 2020 in Switzerland.

Together with a group of enthusiasts we enjoyed our kick-off meeting for this event tonight. We have already selected the Davos area, home of the World Economic Forum to stage this rallye.

June 18th to 21st 2020 (Thursday: arrival - Sunday: departure)

Kindly inform us a.s.a.p. if these dates would be suitable for you: If yes we will proceed and keep you updated after our next meeting (April 16th). It would be unwise to organize the event any earlier in the year because of the risk of snow.

We wish you all a very nice start for the motoring season 2019!

Best wishes and a warm welcome in lovely Switzerland

Michael Pulfer & Christian Haltner

PS
    Kindly let us know how many participants you could send - approx. is enough at this stage of the organization!

Michael Pulfer
    Grabenackerstrasse 40
    6312 Steinhausen
    Mobile +41 79 107 08 08
    pulferm@bluewin.ch
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Re: Any Interest in a European 190SL Event

Thank you for the post Jim,
    To Clarify, this is the “International 190SL days” that take place every two years in Europe, hosted usualy by the French and Italian 190SL Clubs. They have reached out to the Swiss SL and Swiss Classic Mercedes Clubs to organize and host the next Event that will take place in 2020.
    Marc G.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    '57 190SL Coupe, Blaugrün (DB268) / Tan (1068) #121 040 7502070
    "Green Hornet" restoration log

I'd be interested in going. We had a few members attend the Stresa, Italy event some time back. I shipped a car over at the time. Lots of fun!
    Paul Greenblatt
    1960 190SL
    1966 250SE Cabriolet
    2015 E400 Coupe

We would love to do this. Please add us to your "interest" list. We would combine it with a visit with friends in Germany and possibly The Netherlands.

Just curious: How expensive is it to ship a car over?
    Bill Streep
    San Antonio, TX
    1957 190SL
    2009 CLK550
    2014 E550
    2014 E63s Wagon

We are trying to get an idea of the number of people interest by the next meeting (april 25th), wether with or without a 190SL.

The logistics of getting cars over here (over there) are also beeing discussed as a separate issue with MB
    Marc G.

Interested pending details and shipping....
    Dave

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

I am also interested pending more details. I would love to take the car.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

I shipped a car to Rotterdam for the Stresa event and then ended up in Hamburg for the trip back. You can't compare driving European roads with your own car vs a rental. You'll get many more "thumbs ups" there than you do on this side.

There are two company's that I'd recommend: Cosdel http://www.cosdel.com/ and Schumacher Cargo Logistics https://www.schumachercargo.com/

Cosdel is recommended by many but Schumacher offers more delivery and shipping options. Both will guide you with regard to insurance on the ocean and in Europe. There are other companies but these are two I've used. Hagerty Insurance and probably other companies will cover any damage while on the water and will provide full coverage while driving in Europe too. Call your insurance carrier for competitive quotes.

There are a two different methods of transport each at a different price point.

"RO-RO" shipping uses a roll on roll off vessel. This is the way many if not all manufacturers ship their cars. The car is driven to a freight forwarder at the port and then driven on the ship and strapped down. Its then driven off at the port to the local freight receiving facility where you pick it up. I shipped my car back from Hamburg this way with no problem. This is probably the least costly. Don't be surprised if your car is dirty when you get it.

Container shipping is more secure and will protect the car better. The car is strapped down to the bottom of a container most likely with another car in a 20 foot container. The container is lifted onto a truck and then lifted onto the deck of a ship, lifted off and trucked to the receiving point.

Your choice of ports may be important. I've avoided Southern European ports as many be more difficult and dodgy.

I found that shipping my car versus renting a car for a few weeks in Europe will cost more but the extra fun of your own car is worth it.

I'm going to contact Schumacher and will report back.
    Paul Greenblatt
    1960 190SL
    1966 250SE Cabriolet
    2015 E400 Coupe

My wife and I would be interested in going and going to Germany (Stuttgart MB museum) afterwards. Most likely would not ship my car.
    Jim Huey
    61 190SL
    81 300SD
    05 CLK500
    67 GTO

Yes Ken and I are interested in more details. Ken is especially interested if the Green Hornet and Aloha Jim will be there. Remember our 190SL Group 2020 convention is April 19-23, 2020 in Crystal River, Florida and After the Ball April 23 - 26 in St. Augustine, FL and are your prerequisites for going to Switzerland. I doubt that I would ship my 190SL to Europe.

Paul made a number of good points concerning shipping your car. I have not shipped a car over water however I have friends that have. The first point is special ocean shipping insurance. I have a friend that shipped a fully restored excellent running 1904 Stanley Steamer to England and back. He wanted to do the London to Brighton run, which he did. He did other tours in Europe and finally arranged shipping back early winter. It was in a container. The vessel broke up and sank off the African coast in a storm. He failed to obtain the special insurance. He has been a lifelong devotee of Stanleys. His grandfather had worked for Stanley.
    A second friend did not adequately tie down a vintage Citroen coming from France. It shifted in the container and was damaged.
    Bill Jones

I received some preliminary quotes on shipping and insurance.

The shipping cost from Port Newark, New Jersey to Rotterdam would be $985 using Schumacher Cargo Logistics. I haven't received a quote for the return yet but probably would be about the same.

Schumacher's ocean freight insurance was high so I contacted my regular carrier Hagerty whom I used before. Their British office quoted $770 for ocean freight coverage round trip with $110,000 coverage and a $500 deductible.

Hagerty's coverage for about a month of driving in Europe with a deductible of 750GBP ($975) was 564GBP ($733).

So about $3,500 total. A BMW 2 Series convertible would be about $3,000 with similar insurance.
    Paul Greenblatt
    1960 190SL
    1966 250SE Cabriolet
    2015 E400 Coupe

There is some real interest in attending the Davos event from June 18 to 21, 2020.

I am preparing an itinerary that will include Stuttgart and the Mercedes-Benz Museum, the Classic Center in Fellbach, factory tours etc.

If you are interested please let me know here or by "private message". Please include your interest in shipping your car to Europe as well.

This sounds like fun!

Paul
    Paul Greenblatt
    1960 190SL
    1966 250SE Cabriolet
    2015 E400 Coupe

I would be interested in joining. The last two events were great.

Rich
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Fosmoe View Post
    I would be interested in joining. The last two events were great.

Rich
    Hello Rich,

All should be finalized in October but we are looking for the event taking place from Thursday June18th to Sunday June21st 2020 with the base in Davos, Switzerland. Expectation at this point is 70+ 190SLs from all over the world.
    Marc G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast