Thread: Gasket needs

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

Gasket needs

Hello All,

I am here in China talking with a coworker and he has purchased a laser cutter for his side buisness. We are talking about cutting the gaskets we cannot buy any more. It will reside in Portland. I want a list of what we may want.

Thanks
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

Re: Gasket needs

I have a added note. I found a conversion software that takes PDF scans and converts them to DXF files that the laser can read. If this works then all we have to do is get a PDF scan of the gasket in a 1 to 1 scale and then do the quick conversion and we are off and running.

The only free gasket I have is the steering box top plate. Does someone else have a more needed gasket that they can provide a PDF scan?

Thanks
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Gerry:

I have been keeping same size photocopies of gaskets I have replaced with the idea of cutting my own by hand if ever needed (See Enthusiast Jan/Feb 2019 page 12). I can probably turn those into PDFs and send them to you. The trick may be finding the right material. My favorite for an economical replacement would be the gaskets between the air log and the carbs. They are fragile, frequently removed, and you need 4 of them at $6.50 each. The next favorite would be the 2 Solex carb cover gaskets.
    Greg Peirce
    Beaufort, SC

Gerry:

Here is a PDF scan of the gaskets I mentioned. The round one is for the brake booster valve diaphragm as I recall.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Greg Peirce
    Beaufort, SC

I have a source here in the states has something of a cottage industry making custom gaskets for ancient aircraft engines out of modern materials (fiberglass re-enforced silicone and other things). He can do them in a variety of thicknesses and I have considered the cork gasket in our forever leaking fuel filter/valve might be a candidate for some experimentation.

I'll send him a note and see if he might be interested in expanding into the automotive market.
    Frank Stutzman
    '56 190sl (chassis 01186)
    Done with paint, let the wild re-assembly begin!!!
    Boise, id