Thread: Introduction.. new 190 owner with pics!

Introduction.. new 190 owner with pics!

Greetings! I've been lurking around the site for a little while. Yesterday I officially became the owner of a beautiful 1956 190SL. I wanted to start a thread to introduce myself. I'm just beginning a long journey and I know I'll need some help from the forum along the way. I see a wealth of information on this site and there seems to be quite a few very knowledgeable enthusiasts here. So... here I am!

It seems like most of these cars have a story - so here's mine. Body number 65-02362

My uncle has had this car for 40+ years. I do not believe he ever drove it, and as far as I know, it has been in a state of disrepair as long as I've know about it. I found out about this car maybe 20 years ago. At the time I was young and dumb.. maybe 15? I have been bugging him ever since. Every year on my birthday I'd call him and ask if he was ready to sell. Finally... a month ago, I sold a Jeep I was working on. A picture was posted of the Jeep getting hauled out of my yard with the caption "ready for the next project!" Well.. that simple post lit a fire. Long story short - he has given up his dream of having this car rebuilt and passed it along to me. It was the deal of a lifetime. Not only have I been trying to purchase this for close to 20 years, he made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

The car has been at a guys house for as long as I can remember. He does incredible work, and the intent was for this guy to build the car. I know for sure he would do an amazing job after seeing some of his work - however, my Uncle decided this isn't the path he wants to take any longer... so, he decided to make me happy.

What I know. The car is rock solid. Zero rust to deal with.
    The motor is completely rebuilt. It was done years ago, but he said he was very generous with assembly lube.
    Solex. There are 3. One is completely rebuilt with brass bushings. One is original. The third is complete but the housing is broken.
    Everything else seems to be there, less the frame for the top. My uncle admits - it got thrown out some how long ago.
    There are many many parts in boxes. I am pretty sure most is there, but I am not completely sure - thus, my plan... rather than finish tearing it down, I want to re-assemble the car before I do anything. This will give me a baseline.. what am I missing... WTF did I get myself into?
    Hoping to bring her home this weekend. Once home I can begin to inventory whats in the boxes and decide if my plan is the correct path.
    The only bad thing I've noticed so far... the two tags are missing from the firewall. Chassis tag is present on the frame, and the body number is clear on the firewall. The car was painted at some point while in my Uncle's possession - so there is a good chance they are in one of the boxes, I just did not see them in the 30 mins I spent there. Regardless.. for the deal I got, even if the tags are not there - I'm not worried.

Looking forward to sharing my progress with the group.. and also looking forward to making some new friends around here.

Now.. onto the good stuff. Pictures! I will share more once she comes home.
    (sorry.. photobucket problems. The links are here, I thought the pics would just show in this post by pasting the IMG text.)

https://oi16.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_3024.jpg

https://oi16.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_3025.jpg

https://oi16.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_3027.jpg

Re: Introduction.. new 190 owner with pics!

Joe .... Welcome to the Forum and to your 190SL journey. First, please place your name and location in your signature; we prefer to chat with people verses tags.

Your big decision is how much "restoration" and how much just assembly to make it run. My preference is to get it running and drivable before spending a lot of money to make it look good.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Quote Originally Posted by JimVillers View Post
    Joe .... Welcome to the Forum and to your 190SL journey. First, please place your name and location in your signature; we prefer to chat with people verses tags.

Your big decision is how much "restoration" and how much just assembly to make it run. My preference is to get it running and drivable before spending a lot of money to make it look good.

Thanks Jim. I agree on getting it together and running as a first step. Then well decide where to go from there.

Question - I need to load up the engine. The guy who has everything is looking to be compensated for his time to gather all the parts, assemble the engine hoist, etc... I want to bring a friend and do as much work as possible to keep this guy at bay. Hes had possession of this car for way too long and hes not happy about this situation...

Can two strapping chaps lift up this motor? About how much does the 1.9L weigh with no bell Housing? Hes got it on a dolly. I would like to transfer onto a small but hefty skid and strap it down. Im thinking that with the help of my ATV ramps, my buddy and I can work this skidded motor up into my dump trailer. The trailer is only about 24 off the ground. The less work this guy has to do, the less Ill have to argue about how much money he wants for his time...

Any recommendations on how to best transport the motor? Strapping it to a skid will work but I dont really want it resting on the sump during transport... rest it on a tire maybe?

Anyone have a set of welded legs specifically for this motor Id be able to borrow till I get it home?

Thanks!
    Joe

Joe .... You can use a hand truck to move the motor around. I would not try to lift it as it is a couple of hundred pounds and awkward. I currently have an engine in my garage strapped to a furniture dolly (Harbour Freight for $10 or so) so that I can roll it around.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the club.

When I transported my engine and transmission, I built a stand, strapped down the engine and tranny to it then used an engine hoist and lifted it all into the bed of my pickup. I then strapped it down to the bed of the truck. Im currently using the stand for storage. Ill try to post a picture.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8FD9F72E-FF8B-4527-9E49-D188ABCD645C.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	31030  
    Steve Maiocco

1956 190SL #6500717 ("Lucy")- needs refreshing
    1961 190SL #20074- in pieces
    1984 380SL ("Faith")
    1958 Chevy Apache

I could dead lift the engine - no trans or accessories attached - and it wasn't too bad. But...this was a number of years ago...I'd ask friend to help! Point being - they aren't too heavy once the transmission, generator, starter, etc are removed. Furniture dolly should be sufficient to store and roll it around as Jim suggested. If you can find one - I have an adjustable metal cart w/ uprights I used for years both for a 190SL engine and now a M113 V8. Block of wood at the back of the oil pan to keep it level, adjust the uprights close to the block to keep from tipping, and a ratchet strap to snug it all down. It's pretty handy but can't recall where I got it. W/ the uprights removed it's great for rim/tire storage.
    Dave

Thanks for the replies. A friend lent me his engine hoist... it's just a few bolts to assemble it on site.
    I'll hoist the engine off its current dolley into my truck. I'm going to bring a few different sized tires and pick the best to rest it on. That along with some straps and she should be fine.
    The engine is bare, no accessories, no bellhousing. I have a big friend coming with me so we should be set.
    The transmission and seats are in this guys attic - along with some other boxes scattered around the place.
    We are tentatively going tomorrow depending on the weather.
    I was going to get the car last night but we had some bad storms roll through. Planning on Friday morning now.
    Lastly... the bonnet is in a third location. I'll need to plan a separate trip for that.

Slowly coming home... at least I got the ball rolling on insurance...

Dying to start working on this car!!!

Cool! Try to make a checklist of what you're gonna need to complete that second carb...have a working set of carbs is a typical barrier to getting projects like this on the road.
    Aram

-1961 SL DB40 Black with Red interior, 88k, hopefully many more
    -1960 190b DB227 "driver"

Welcome Joe!
    Looking forward to reading your resto progress reports.
    You may want to consider joining the club and purchasing the club books - Restoration & Ownership (Vol I & II)
    Wish they'd been available when I first purchased my car.
    Bill Ainsworth
    Laguna Hills, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Aramsl View Post
    Cool! Try to make a checklist of what you're gonna need to complete that second carb...have a working set of carbs is a typical barrier to getting projects like this on the road.
    So, the "second" looks to be complete... this is the one with the broken body. The third carb is in pieces, many in a box. Have not looked yet, but between the two, he told me there's enough to make a full second Solex.

I need to dig in further, but a set of Webers is always an option to get me rolling...

Rain is killing me. Supposed to be a mess tomorrow which may prevent the car pickup.

She's home! I've got good news and bad... the car is in excellent condition. Lots of good parts, but there are some important pieces missing. Mainly, the body tag and paint ID. I dug through the boxes I got but could not find them.
    Additionally, the radiator is missing. I'm sure there will be plenty more! (Like the tach....)

First job is to couple the motor and tranny back together before dropping in place. The fork is missing and I need a throw out bearing.

Originality... I think that ship has sailed. Without the tags, plus what I see missing at first glance - I can't afford to go down that road. Ill spend a fortune trying to bring it back to stock configuration. Plus, I have a hankering for a tasteful resto-mod!

Some pics... the haul home was nice and smooth.
    My steering wheel looks excellent! Just needs a cleaning. AND, a new horn button.

https://oi16.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_3141.jpg

https://oi16.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_3148.jpg

https://oi16.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_3149.jpg

Ha! no rust.... I should have known better. After all... she is 60+ years old!

I put the car up on the lift last night. What appeared to be a relatively clean underside was actually galvanized floor pans fiberglassed into place then covered with a nice thick layer of undercoating.

Its not terrible... just more work. This may change my plan, but we'll see. I'm not deterred!

Floor pans need to go as well as that one frame section that is directly behind the front left wheel. I see panels available online, I'm just not sure exactly which one I need yet. I'll dig further this week and determine the extent of the damage.