Thread: #72 Mercedes 190sl

#72 Mercedes 190sl

Hey I'm a new member I just acquired what I believe to be a pretty early 190sl I know numbers 1 and 2 have supposedly been located, but I just acquired the 72nd 190sl produced with the vin A1210425500072 just curious as to how many cars this early are still known to exist?

Registered User MartinNeuburger's Avatar

Re: #72 Mercedes 190sl

Very nice...congratulations! Any pictures?

Regards Martin
    Martin
    190 SL #690 1955

So tomorrow I'm going to go over and get the car ready to leave the property it's currently on so I don't have good pictures of the car itself but I do have pictured of the paperwork and the tag on the motor. I'm pretty sure the cars not numbers matching but the block is early to my knowledge can anyone confirm?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	31619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_364.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	463.7 KB 
ID:	31620

My understanding is that it wouldn't be unusual for them not to match exactly. Others here know more, and will chime in. You can order the data card (build sheet) from MB.
    Bill Streep
    San Antonio, TX
    1957 190SL
    2009 CLK550
    2014 E550
    2014 E63s Wagon

you should find the CHASSIS number (not engine) stamped on the frame rail just below the voltage regulator that should match your document identification number. A data card from Mercedes (you can request the sheet, might be hard to read) would confirm the motor, body, transmission, axle, etc. numbers too.

There is a sample of an early build sheet in the TECH INFO tab above http://www.190slgroup.com/joomla/index.php/technical
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

Quote Originally Posted by slover View Post
    you should find the CHASSIS number (not engine) stamped on the frame rail just below the voltage regulator that should match your document identification number. A data card from Mercedes (you can request the sheet, might be hard to read) would confirm the motor, body, transmission, axle, etc. numbers too.

There is a sample of an early build sheet in the TECH INFO tab above http://www.190slgroup.com/joomla/index.php/technical
    Okay I just checked the car out last night and in the spot you said to look at I could only read the last 2 digits which were 72 the rest has too much surface rust that I'm going to have to clean up.