Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rosemarie Nitribitt

ftelang

Rosemarie Nitribitt

Hi everyone. I'm missing the convention, so had to add something to the forum.

I saw this ad for a 1962 on ebay, and in the ad, the seller mentioned this woman, "the most famous prostitute of post-war Europe" as owning a 190SL.

I checked a search engine, but everything about her is written in German. Does anyone know anything about this story? What year, color, etc., did she have?

Here's a picture of her.

http://www.wdr.de/tv/nachtkulturundg...nitribitt.html

Frank

Race Guy
    Frank......

If you search via Google, it gives you a "translate this page" option that outputs a pretty decent translation.

Here she is pictured next to her SL

Race Guy
    Ooops!

For some reason, my link gets redirected. To search it out, do a Google on her name & it's the third one (www buch-idealo.de.....) on the first page. Then, hit "translate this page".

Here's the pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosemarie nitribitt.jpeg 
Views:	1521 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	993  
    Last edited by Race Guy; 10-15-2003 at 04:19 PM.

rocafella

Rosemarie Nitribitt

i did some seachin' in german & the only thing that i found on her 190sl is that the car was red.... i'm gonna keep seachin' & see what else i can find...

After I installed my supercharger people asked me if I had a name for my car. So I started thinking of a good one.

I graduated from Hofstra University in New York. Hofstra was endowed by Mr. & Mrs. Hofstra who gave their home and the surrounding property to the school. One of the stipulations of the gift was that the school had to take care their home, now called Hofstra Hall and of Katie Hofstra's cats who lived there in perpetuity. I had also heard that the 190SL was very popular with prostitutes in Europe.

So now that I have an 190SLK and Hofstra Hall was affectionally known as "Katie's Cathouse", it was obvious that I should now call my car "Katie".
    Paul Greenblatt
    1960 190SL
    1966 250SE Cabriolet
    2015 E400 Coupe

rocafella

rosemarie nitribitt

i read some things 'bout rosemarie nitribitt, but didn't find much info on her 190sl. the only thing i found 'bout her is that she was a famous german cortesan during the 1950's & that she loved cars, especially 190's, had a tragic life & got killed when she was only 25. following her death in 1957, there was a dramatic sales decrease at daimler benz & many orders for the 190sl were cancelled while at the same time the 300sl increased in production. this is what i read in the german pages, but lets not forget that the 190sl was still in production til 1963.

Dennis Keith
    Something that has interested me for a while is that only 1200-1300 300SL Gullwings and the same number of roadsters were ever built for a total of about 2500 cars. I think that about 26,000 190SLs were produced and, given the difference in tooling and production costs, the 190SL would seem to be a pretty good success story for Mercedes. Many of the 190SLs were sold in the USA and, at that time, they may have provided one of the entry points into the US market.
    Dennis Keith
    Dana Point, CA
    56 190SL 'Mercy'

rocafella

some benz history...

My opinion is that the 190sl was successful within the Benz history... Personally speakin' i think this got something to do wit' the design... The 190sl was like a pretty babe, beautiful & cool, it was the perfect jewel for the 1950's. Cute, attractive & fun to drive, it was also a cheaper alternative to the expensive 300sl....

In the beginning of the 1950's, Benz came up wit' the idea of the 300sl, a light racing car that got a chassis built up 'round thin steel tubes... both the 300sl Gullwing & the 190sl were first introduced in the US at the New York car show in 1954... (but the production of 190's didn't start til a year later)

The 300sl Gullwing was designed & built as a racing car (& wit' the 6 cylinder engine makin' 174 brake horse power, that was one fast car man!) but the car design wasn't so practical wit' the gullwing doors among other things. The Roadster was later made to change this but the roadster model was also less powerful. Wit' all these probs... ya can see why only a little over 1800 of these cars was ever made...

Wit' 60's fashion bringing a dramatic change in design.... (most artifacts, furniture etc becoming more square & less femenine) Benz stopped both the production of the 300sl & the 190sl in 1963... this was the time that the production of the pagoda began til 1971 wit' over 48000 cars made. The pagoda gotta emotional value for me cause when i was a kid my uncle & aunt got one & they used to take me crusin' with them. i still remember it was a lotta fun to be in da car. the pagoda wit' the six cylinder engine & 150 bhp was more powerful than the 190SL, but at the same time, it was also a car that could be used every day.

Joe Amaro
    I'm sure that Johanness Raedeker can share some light on Rosemarie. He once showed me a magazine article on her (in German) and recently picked up a DVD movie that was made based on her story. He lent me the DVD (also in German) but I couldn't view it because it is in PAL (not NTSC) format. However, the box looks interesting. I'll try to post a picture of the dvd box later today.

Joe Amaro
    Here is that DVD (PAL format and in German):

Name:	rosemarie (front cover).jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	998  

Joe Amaro
    Back cover:

Name:	rosemarie (back cover).jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	999  

RonRapp
    Do search in the back newsletters for ladies of the evening. We did a feature story on her years ago.

Rosemarie Nitribit -190 SL owner and ....

I recently flew to Europe and noticed that United is offering this movie Rosemarie Nitribit (the original version) in First Class as a personal video option. So it must be available in NTSC. I have been trying to find it elsewhere, but have not been successful. Does anybody have connections into United Airlines so that we can approach them for a copy?

Thanks,
    Johannes Raedeker

'61 190 SL
    '37 230 Cab B

rocafella

Rosemary Nitribitt

Here is a review of the movie "a girl called Rosemarie" based on Rosemary Nitribitt's life.

rocafella

"A girl called Rosemarie"

Johannes,

From what I read it seems that the movie "a girl called Rosemarie" was only released on VHS format or DVD.

If ya interested in the DVD version, here is a useful link that shows ya where the movie's sold & ya can also compare prices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast