Thread: New Member with a New car

oldironfarmer

New Member with a New car

I wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking around here for 8-10 months.
    Years ago I had a friend whos Mom had a 190SL. Once and a while she would let us drive it. It has always been one of my favorites since.
    I bought a 1958 a year or so ago that I decided was too big a project. I sold it with the intention of buying a nicer car to start with as it would cost me less money in the long run. I looked hard for a few months and kind of gave up for a while as prices were far more than I was interesed in paying. I have other classic cars and was not looking for a major project.
    A few weeks back I responded to an ad for a 1960 in original unrestored condition. I new before I even got out of my car to see it that the car was coming home with me. Love at first sight. It has always been garaged in central CA in truly great original condition. The car has 81k miles. It drives much better than I even expected. About 1/2 of its miles have been in the last 10 years. That was a plus to me. The car still has its solexes.
    I have been driving the car almost daily. It runs out great and pegs the oil pressure at 2k RPM. The car is white with green interior and green hardtop. Not my first choice in color but it has grown on me and I will not change it.
    I have one issue that I will post in another topic (valve seals leaking and light smoke on startup).
    I will post further as I get to know my car better and have questions.
    I have been reading here and the archives and apreciate the wealth of knowledge. Brian Davis, Auburn, CA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190sl2.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	418.8 KB 
ID:	4487  

Welcome, great looking car and picture. Any more pictures? 800X600 resolution works best here.

Is this your color combo?

Name:	000_0466.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	4488  
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

Brian .... Very nice photograph.

Pleas update you profile with your location and add your name in the signature.

If you have not changed the hydraulic brake lines, do yourself a favor and have them replaced before they cause a safety issue.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

oldironfarmer
    Thanks for the advise. My interior is a darker shade of green. Possibly due to age and cleaners/conditioners. Though the top and hubcaps are also a darker shade. I will try another picture. Hopefully this size is better?

Name:	mb1902 (medium).jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	4496  

Originally posted by oldironfarmer
    Thanks for the advise. My interior is a darker shade of green. Possibly due to age and cleaners/conditioners. Though the top and hubcaps are also a darker shade. I will try another picture. Hopefully this size is better?
    Size is perfect and the other picture was under a flash, so yours may be very similar.

Great looking combo, looks like you got a real find.
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

Originally posted by oldironfarmer
    My interior is a darker shade of green. Possibly due to age and cleaners/conditioners. Though the top and hubcaps are also a darker shade.
    What is the paint code you have? That should tell if the dark top is what is was supposed to have.

Also, originally my interior was blue. But, over the years it discolored to a greenish color. So the original leather can (does) change color over the years.

BTW: I think the wheel trim you have is not for your vintage of 190SL, if the hard top is the correct style for your car. Which is a good reason to check you paint code from the engine compartment.
    Walt in the West says: Don't ask: "Use the SEARCH Luke"
    1959 190SL DB050 with 333 leather blue ("It's Alive!" - 653 miles) Chassis 14445
    1961 300SL Roadster DB608 with red - fresh brakes and rebuilt engine hung in - more work coming!