Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a picture(s) of your 190 SL

Gerry, your car looks like she has great potential. I only wish my 56 started out like yours. I was interested in seeing that you still had the sectional dash (two wooden pieces). I know that they were converted in 56 to the one piece; however, the timeline never mentioned when in 56. My car is number 777 and I see that yours is 870. It would be interesting to track the 56 year cars to see if they have the earlier dash or the later dash and answer the question of when this change was made. If you decide to restore the dash, be careful with the wooden pieces. If you destroy a section, they are very difficult to locate and if located are very $$$.

Rob
    Rob Lias
    56, 190SL (00777) (Current Project)
    Virginia

RonRapp
    Great find Gerry. You have a big head start on bringing it back to its former beauty.

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar
    Rob,

Do you have any information on recovering the multi piece dash? Did you cover yours yourself? All the information is for the one piece dash.

Gerry
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

RonRapp
    Rob... The wooden parts to the dash top were used up 6503254.

Thanks Ron.. So, based upon this change over number, it seems that having a 56 with a single piece dash would be more unique than one with the sectional dash... Do you still have your 56? If so, what is its chassis number? Again, thanks for filling in the blanks...

Rob
    Rob Lias
    56, 190SL (00777) (Current Project)
    Virginia

RonRapp
    Yes, I still have it. I think the number is 6503040.

RonRapp
    So where's the Reindeer?

Vashon, Wa
    Thought all those that enjoy eye candy would find drifting through the 190SL link on Flickr a fun way to pass some time:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=190sl+&m=text

Regards,
    Lew

Quote Originally Posted by Lew H View Post
    Thought all those that enjoy eye candy would find drifting through the 190SL link on Flickr a fun way to pass some time:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=190sl+&m=text

Regards,
    Lew
    Thanks, Lew. Recognized a few cars in there.

Now, here's some serious modding!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	520787286_6b6d58d5e3.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	8087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	520787294_0cf4f0bba0.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	8088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	520787298_e20f4c7a07.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	8089  
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

Vashon, Wa

Making Lemonade from a lemon

Hi John,
    I recently purchased my 61 190sl over the net. It was described as original with no rust. Yes, I know......
    Here are some pics:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/18830576@N07/

The situation, as I see it now, is the car had new panels about 10 years ago. These were pop riveted on and there
    was no work done on any of the inside sheet metal. So, I have a car that has good running gear, nice interior, good
    chrome, totally rust free body sitting on a a rusted subframe with attendant sheet metal .

So, after a bit of self flagellation (actually more than a bit),
    I've come to terms with the situation, and can even see the bright side. So, realizing that the body is in great shape, and fairly easily removed via drilling out the pop rivets, I've decided to remove the body and fix all the rusted metal.
    I'm a cabinetmaker by profession, and used to jigs and close tolerances. I done some gas and arc welding in the past, even took some night school classes in th 70's, so recently picked up a TIG welder from Grizzly and am waiting for Harbor Freight to get their soldout out Plasma cutters in (big sale ending on Nov. 12th at their stores--
    $300 off the $1000 price tag).
    So, lots to learn and do. Fortunately I have good shop space, and am a more than adequate painter.
    So, the winter project is about to get under way.

Regards,
    Lew

Lew, from the few posts you've made, you sound more than capable of the job. Make sure to lean on the group for advice (taken with a healthy dose of skepticism) and perhaps try to make it to our Winter Tech session Feb 8 -10, 2008 at www.blackforestllc.com. You'll learn a lot that will perhaps save you some aggravation.

Flogging oneself over decisions made with respect to the 190 SL seems to be endemic to the car.

Where was your car advertised?
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

Lew,

You should read Bill Lamb's threads. He did the "skinning" of a 190SL and damn near everything else himself. Lots of good info, tips, gotchas, observations, etc.

Having an original example to compare/measure helps also. Better make some friends in the Pacific Northwest.
    Dave

Vashon, Wa
    Hi Dave,
    I've read Bill's post and documentation of his efforts with great and inspired interest--he certainly was inspirational and I highly value all of his comments. I have a friend a couple of miles away that has a car. I was thinking of offering him some space in my shop to work and store his car whilst I'm working on mine.
    Regards,
    Lew

Vashon, Wa
    Hi John,
    The car was sold by the Volo Car Museum in Volo Illinois--
    even had a DVD made and sent to me of the car. They didn't charge top dollar, i.e., $26, 900, so, actually the price wasn't terrible for all the good parts. But they certainly were less than straight forward regarding rust and pop riveted skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew H View Post
    Hi John,
    The car was sold by the Volo Car Museum in Volo Illinois--
    even had a DVD made and sent to me of the car. They didn't charge top dollar, i.e., $26, 900, so, actually the price wasn't terrible for all the good parts. But they certainly were less than straight forward regarding rust and pop riveted skins.
    Not trying to throw salt on the wound, but that's why you lean on the group during the exploratory phase...Dave or I could have easily looked at the car for you. At least it seems it was a fair price.

John
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast