Thread: wintertech

wintertech

where's wintertech this year

Black Forest, here in Milwaukee, has begun a program of coordinated quarterly tech sessions. They've offered (as in the past) to host WinterTech for the club and orient the particular quarter's curriculum to be more 190 SL specific.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

Although not definitively settled, the board discussed whether to hold WinterTech annually or every other year. The plus side on semiannual was more participation and a better planned event while annual was certainly desired by many. Since the subject is still up in the air, no plans have been made for this year and will be a subject of discussion in coming board meetings.

Jim Mitchell is spearheading an effort to do a regional Tech Session for the southern group. This approach, national alternating with regional, might be a good way to satisfy both desires.

Thoughts?

Walt

wintertech

I lean towards a regional approach. There have been a number of ideas shared by our vendors, sponsors and members but they tend to languish, possibly because of lack of support from a national club perspective. Regional events open to whomever is willing to travel, marketed through this forum without Club financial assistance, oversight or management may have a shot of happening. It only takes one or two people with an idea and willingness.
    Larry Rotta

"Zest" '76 Porsche 912E #874 1st Place 912 Registry, 2007
    "Blueberry" '61 190SL #20250 sold 3/2010
    "Liberty" 30' reproduction antique motor yacht
    "Picnic" 12' Beetle Cat sailboat

I agree with Larry's approach....Regional is the way to go, with a open invitation to all.......No Club financial/oversight or management support.........Local MBCA and AACA members host great events at a local level.

Larry, I would be interested in hosting an event, .......Feb-Mar time-frame...........April is out for me as I plan to attend Black Forest's event......heard many good things about Michael's April event.............dave
    Last edited by slover; 12-27-2009 at 03:57 PM.
    Dave Polny
    Collection Manager
    dpolny@wilson-collection.com

"Winter" tech

Our event is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, April 3rd, 2010, here in the Atlanta area. The intent was for it to be just a one day, very informal tech/social event aimed at local enthusiasts, but all who are interested in attending are welcome. I am taking suggestions from the local group on which topics would be of the greatest interest (the Solex carbs are so far the #1 requested topic). Once a location is nailed down I will f/u with that information as well as suggested hotels if anyone will be traveling over night. Let me know if there are any questions.
    jrs190sl

I have been fortunate enough to attend all three Wintertechs so far, and know they represent an enormous effort in planning and presentation. So first of all, thank you to all who have contributed their time and energies so that the rest of us can gain from your knowledge and experience.

I think a regional approach might be a very effective way to cover detailed issues in a more extensive or thorough manner. The national events have each tried to cover a broad range of topics (carbs, brakes, suspension, interior, etc.) which has necessitated abbreviated treatment of complex issues. A regional approach could focus on fewer but deeper topics (less travel and expense to justify) then the best of these sessions from around the country could be collected and repeated at a national, sponsored event every second or third year. Maybe the best of both worlds....diversified local creativity made available to all on a club sponsored periodic basis.

Just a thought.

Greg Peirce
    Greg Peirce
    Beaufort, SC

Jim,
    Sounds like you already have a plan in place.....Sounds Great............I wanted to go in a different direction as to host a couple day event, Friday evening arrive, informal social..........Saturday a full day of tech areas that would focus on mostly upgrades........wiring headlights / brakes / Air Cleaner Alternatives / Understanding Caster, Camber, Springs,Shocks and the importance of weight distribution ( using racing scales under each wheel)...etc..etc.for the guys and a full day of Shopping/Touring the local shops in Pinehurst / Southern Pines and local area for the Ladies.............Sunday morning depending on the weather a track session at a local track......maybe talk about acceleration / braking.......hoping to have my disc brake setup on a 190SL by then............test some different types of braking material to see the stopping distances................dave
    Dave Polny
    Collection Manager
    dpolny@wilson-collection.com

RonRapp
    I believe the most important thing about "Winter Tech" is picking one subject & doing a CD so those that can't make it or those who missed it will still have a reference to go by.

Gee-Zoo-Whiz can you imaging if the factory had done this in 4 different languages.

geez

Spring Tech, Georgia

This is to reconfirm that our Georgia 190SL tech session has been set for April 3rd, 2010. The session will be hosted by Mathieu Cama at his Mercedes focused repair shop, Old World Automotive, at 270 Arnold Road, 30044 in Lawrenceville. Our agenda will be loosely structured and run from 10AM to about 3PM. A fee of $10-$15 each to cover the costs of an onsite lunch and refreshments (and Walt’s dancing girls) will be collected at the workshop.

The is a preliminary, loose agenda:

10:00 The mysterious Solex carburetors, Walt Puryear
    12:00 Lunch
    1:00 Restoring the dash, Ron Rabon
    1:30 Front end inspection(what to look and listen for, what can go wrong, how to maintain), Mathieu Cama
    3:00 Open ended Q&A

For the front end inspection, I am proposing that a car be chosen randomly from those who bring a 190SL to the session. We'll put the names in a hat and the "winner" will be drawn from the hat.

Space is limited so attendance will be cut off at 20 people (we are currently at 12). For anyone needing overnight hotel accommodations, contact Jim Mitchell at 770 883 2316 or mailto:jrs190sl@yahoo.com
    jrs190sl

A week later, Saturday, April 10th, at www.blackforestllc.com in Milwaukee, they are having their annual Wisconsin Chapter MBCA tech session. It's always a great day with excellent tech material, great food, social interaction and lots of cars. 190 SL Group members are invited and I will be happy to organize us as a group, beginning with gathering at my home in the morning with treats, visiting and fooling around in my garage. If there is enough participation, Black Forest will make at least one of the topics for the day 190 SL specific.
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

here are the final details:
    (By return email (jrs190sl@yahoo.com), please confirm whether you will be attending by no later than Friday, March 26th)

If you have any specific food restrictions let me know.

Click on this link below to see a map of 270 Arnold Road and let me know if you cannot open the map. This is a fairly generic map so I would suggest that you get specific driving directions from Mapquest etc and/or use a GPS.

http://<a href="http://maps.google.c...19383&z=12</a>

This is to reconfirm that our tech session has been set for April 3rd, 2010. The session will be hosted by Mathieu Cama at his Mercedes focused repair shop, Old World Automotive, at 270 Arnold Road, 30044 in Lawrenceville. Our agenda will be loosely structured and run from 10AM to about 3PM. A fee of $10-$15 each to cover the costs of an onsite lunch and refreshments will be collected at the workshop.

The is a preliminary, loose agenda:

10:00 The mysterious Solex carburetors, Walt Puryear
    12:00 Lunch
    1:00 Restoring the dash, Ron Rabon
    1:30 Front end inspection(what to look and listen for, what can go wrong, how to maintain), Mathieu Cama
    3:00 Open ended Q&A
    jrs190sl