Thread: Board Meeting Minutes 1.11.10

Board Meeting Minutes 1.11.10

Any Board member is interested in what you have to say, either through Club Related Topics or by PM. From time to time we will post specific items for which we seek your input. Feel free to respond
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry Rotta

"Zest" '76 Porsche 912E #874 1st Place 912 Registry, 2007
    "Blueberry" '61 190SL #20250 sold 3/2010
    "Liberty" 30' reproduction antique motor yacht
    "Picnic" 12' Beetle Cat sailboat

Judging

The MBCA has a fairly formal set of rules and guidelines and a score sheet for Concours judging, has the board considered adapting those guidelines for use at 190SL meets? Also, would it be productive to conduct a judging class/school to better prepare prospective judges for the responsibility?
    jrs190sl

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mitchell View Post
    The MBCA has a fairly formal set of rules and guidelines and a score sheet for Concours judging, has the board considered adapting those guidelines for use at 190SL meets? Also, would it be productive to conduct a judging class/school to better prepare prospective judges for the responsibility?
    Jim, do you have a copy of those rules, guidelines and scoresheet? If so, would you please forward a copy(ies) to me?

A judging class/school was one of the things Brad and I discussed, possibly in conjunction with a WinterTech session (or not).
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

Thumbs up

Great Idea. Or how about after your committee's work is done a "Late Spring Tech" or a "Pre-Convention Tech" in Traverse City.
    Larry Rotta

"Zest" '76 Porsche 912E #874 1st Place 912 Registry, 2007
    "Blueberry" '61 190SL #20250 sold 3/2010
    "Liberty" 30' reproduction antique motor yacht
    "Picnic" 12' Beetle Cat sailboat

MBCA concours/event guidelines

In light of the club's board evaluating Concours judging guidelines, attached for review, is a copy of the MBCA event rulebook which includes a section on Concours events. Their score sheet is also attached but it is very similar to the one our judges use.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    jrs190sl

RonRapp
    I wrote the judging sheets that we use & w/o a judging sheet to lay down next to it to compare the two it would be impossible to improve upon. You can't compare oranges to X, unless you know what X is. Our sheet was designed for one specific make & model. To try to judge another car using the 190 SL sheets turns the entire judging process into a beauty contest Was any car ever standard with Weber carbs? If not how do you judge a car with Weber carbs??

Quote Originally Posted by RonRapp View Post
    I wrote the judging sheets that we use & w/o a judging sheet to lay down next to it to compare the two it would be impossible to improve upon. You can't compare oranges to X, unless you know what X is. Our sheet was designed for one specific make & model. To try to judge another car using the 190 SL sheets turns the entire judging process into a beauty contest Was any car ever standard with Weber carbs? If not how do you judge a car with Weber carbs??
    I'm not sure exactly sure what you're saying, but, I think it is possible to improve on the current sheets. As you say, the sheets are and need to be 190 SL specific so that it is not just a shine and show contest. The purpose of looking at other judging methodologies is to understand what else is being done and how the best ideas from them could possibly be incorporated into the process of judging the 190 SL.

The improvement can come in making the sheets an easier guide of exactly what to be looking for, how much to deduct for shortcomings, correct some of the mistakes in the current sheets and add some specificity that currently may be lacking. If anything, the "improvement" will make for a more accurate judging of the 190 SL specifically and many/most of the changes through the years. The sheets can also be made to be more informative for the contest entrant who may want to fix what has been noted as a deduct.

Jim Mitchell and others have mentioned a judging school for 190 SL judges. One of the issues I see is inconsistency of expertise from one judging team to another within a given convention and from convention to convention. The hope/goal is to refine the judging sheets/process to a level that there is greater accuracy and consistency in judging concours over convention years and that the 190 SL Group judging result be the most believed and coveted one to achieve. Improvement in judging can help to improve the quality of our cars, restorations, serve as a tool for DIYers and customers of retorers, increase the value of our cars in the marketplace and make for a larger pool of members who really understand the 190 SL marque.

You designed a system that has been used for many years. The 190 SL has become more collectible and valuable over those years. As more people bring these cars back to their original glory and beyond, the judging criteria and process needs to be more stringent, in my and others experience. I think this upcoming evolution is a compliment to your prior work and not a rejection of it in that it retains the principles of design that you originally used. The idea, as outlined by Brad Brady and his group, is to then make sure that, as a club, we properly reward and recognize those who have submitted their cars to and withstood the 190 SL Group's judging practice.
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

RonRapp
    Well John, What I attempting to say was that you can't compare one car to another after all the beauty & condition items are eliminated. Correctness can only be made between the same make, model, & year if you want to boil it all down.

What is the end state of the Club as far as the judging goes?.....
    Trailer Queen- never driven, not road worthy, but correct.....like a "Toy Model" or a fully functional car as Mercedes Benz delivered out of the showroom........

Maybe add some functional events as braking, acceleration, and driving events as the Mercedes Benz "Tri-o-rama" Events used to do.......not used to abuse the car, but make the car functional......as in Hilton Head this year, I accompanied the owner of the 220S Cabrio we restored......the car had to drive up to the stage to be awarded its Trophy (Best in class)........if not driven, the next car (2nd Place) would take its place............just some food for thought.............

dave
    Last edited by Dave Polny; 01-24-2010 at 04:47 PM.
    Dave Polny
    Collection Manager
    dpolny@wilson-collection.com

RonRapp
    Dave, I like your idea that every thing must be fully functional as it was when it left the factory show room floor. Including tires & recommended presurres. All lights, horns & Radio. A Club can not nor should they attempt to control the amount of type of driving a member does with their car, from "Bruce Adams Down-Under experiences to Bob Platzs once around the park again James" I keep reittering, its your car, it's your money. Restore & drive it, restore & drive it how it suites you best.