Thread: How to remove Carburetors?

How to remove Carburetors?

Hello friends, Im trying to remove my carburetor. They are Solex units. How do you reach the bolts under them? Do I need to remove the intake manifold first or do you normal remove both at once? Any one where I can find instructions or help? Thanks for the help! George

Remove the air log first and all attachments, fuel lines, drip lines, overflow lines, hot choke, cold choke, etc. I think I loosened the support strut to swing it out of the way. A series of 1/4" drive wobble extensions will allow you to snake in underneath and reach the mounting bolts. A wrench can hold the nuts from behind. Be careful not to drop the spring washers into the intake when pulling off the carbs. Plug the intakes with paper towel when the carbs are off. It's not a bad idea to place a rag or something underneath the carbs to catch any dropped nuts, bolts or washers during the removal and installation process. Beats trying to find them in the front suspension or frame rail.
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

CLICK HERE TO ENJOY SOME PICTURES OF THE CAR

Thanks for the response. So will I need to go from under the car or can I reach them from the engine bay? Its so tight in there for the lower ones that I cant figure out where to slide my hand from?

I do it all from the engine bay. You have to take the air log off first. Then it's relatively straightforward.
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

CLICK HERE TO ENJOY SOME PICTURES OF THE CAR

bstreep
    Please make sure you disconnect the battery first. It's way too easy to short a wrench on the starter cable, and scare the heck out of you.

I've taken a box wrench that fits the nuts, and ground the edges down so that they fit on the nuts.

I have never done it but often wondered if it would make things a lot easier if you removed the heater/vent assembly first?
    Cecil Rives
    1956 190SL
    1993 Falco F8L
    1996 Morgan mare

remove carbs

I recall reading in one of the manuals that the carbs and the manifold should be removed as one unit. Has anyone tried that? Does that make sense?
    jrs190sl

Remove the air log, disconnect all fittings and linkages, and unless you want to see sparks fly, disconnect the battery (as stated above).

When I do it, I remove each individual carb first. I do not think there is any benefit to remove one before the other. Then I remove the intake manifolds as one unit due to the plumbing.

You need long skinny arms for this job!! If you happen to be a contortionist, this will be a big plus!! Definitely wear a long sleeve shirt. I didn't the first time and wished I had!

Removing the heater unit will not give you any more room. Removing the engine would be much more productive. The Mercedes Engineers did not design this system to be R&Red in the field!!!!

The first time took a lot longer than the last time. Just think before you do, and everything will go well!!!
    1961 190SL w/ Air Conditioning
    1998 BMW M Roadster
    1998 Suzuki GSXR 1300 Hayabusa

Thanks for everyone's response! I will try and remove that air log which I thought was called the intake manifold. The problem is I can't reach the lower bolts under the log of hell!

Ok looks like I'm nearing the end. I will need to go get a 1/4 wobble so that I can reach those bottom bolts on the carburetor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportlightpilot View Post
    Ok looks like I'm nearing the end. I will need to go get a 1/4 wobble so that I can reach those bottom bolts on the carburetor.
    you should take a before and after picture of your arms ... mine looked like I went a few rounds with a wildcat by the time I was done. While you have the carbs out, why not replace the starter with the club version?
    Roland W.

'59 190SL #14333: DOB June 12, 1959.
    Some photos, documents and work-in-progress pics. Updated Jul 10, 2009

Visitor
    Air log is first. Use smallest tools. Put your right arm under the log and be prepared for scratches and bruises. Carbs are next, one at a time. The intake manifold comes off as a unit since it is tied together with rubber hoses. I replaced the hoses and nipples with new ones. The job can take as long as 8 hours, off and on. This was an estimate from Ron Rapp. With all of my breaks to look at catalog and drink cokes, he was about right. Hoses and nipples are a real time saver of future work. My work was with Webbers which are a tighter fit due to an 1/4 inch aluminum spacer between the log and carbbs. Good luck.