Thread: 2011 Convention - Overview

2011 Convention - Overview

The International 190SL Group 2011 convention will be held between September 19 – 23 at The Boars Head Inn in Charlottesville, Virginia, in the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Although the convention is being held from Monday evening through Friday morning (to allow both weekends for traveling), if you have the time, we have also planned trips and activities from the preceding Saturday through the following Saturday. Of special note, the annual convention will also, for the first time, host the international convention of the Mercedes-Benz 190SL clubs, and we hope to have 190SL owners joining us from Germany, France, Italy, England and other countries.

Virginia is not only one of the most beautiful states, but is also home to some of the most historic locations in the country. The convention this year will take us from the first English settlement at Jamestown, to the Colonial Capitol at Williamsburg, to the revolutionary war battleground at Yorktown, to the civil war capitol of the Confederacy in Richmond, and then to the Charlottesville area – home of Thomas Jefferson (author of the Declaration of Independence) and James Madison (father of our Constitution). In addition to historic locations, we will travel along some of the most scenic roads in the country – the Colonial Parkway, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive. To compliment the feast for your eyes, we will also be well fed and visit several notable vineyards for samplings of Virginia’s fine wines.

The convention will differ from previous years in several ways. First, we will hold a Before the Ball tour in addition to a shorter After the Ball tour. The second change is the Concours d’Elegance and Peoples Choice competitions will take place on Tuesday afternoon - on the first full day - so that competitors will then be able to enjoy their cars on the driving tours (without worrying about getting them dirty during the remainder of the convention). For those who want to test their driving skills, we will hold a competitive Gymkhana on Tuesday morning. Also, new awards rules are being instituted for the Concours (see the Concours thread), whereby all entrants who achieve a specific point score are eligible to receive awards. Finally, to keep our group together and provide an opportunity to review the next day’s activities, dinner for at least three of the evenings will be provided in the registration fee.

Continue to check the club website for more travel information, registration forms, and links to related websites to help plan your trip. While you’re thinking about it, make your reservations now at The Boars Head Inn to ensure you have a room (you can always cancel later if there is a conflict). If rooms are unavailable at The Boars Head, there are two economical hotels located conveniently nearby (see Lodging thread below).

We have tried to provide many interesting sites and activities during the convention - a “Best of Virginia” sampler - and provide opportunities for a wide range of budgets. Please follow the provided links to help plan your trip and get the most out of your visit. Please also do not hesitate to contact your hosts, Brad and Pam Brady, at 804-364-8330 or bradford.brady@comcast.net to answer any questions and help with your travel plans.

We look forward to seeing you this September in Virginia!
    Brad Brady
    1955 190SL, 1958 190SL, 1971 280SL, 1989 560SL, 2005 SL500

Brad and Pam,

WOW! Very nicely done, our plans are underway. If this doesn't stir up interest in having some of our european bretheren visit us
    nothing will. I especially like the concours on Tuesday....if someone has to miss the banquet we can mail a trophy. Hey it looks like
    all the meals are banquets anyway! As far as concours awards, let's try to build support for the Club to purchase them above its usual
    grant.
    Larry Rotta

"Zest" '76 Porsche 912E #874 1st Place 912 Registry, 2007
    "Blueberry" '61 190SL #20250 sold 3/2010
    "Liberty" 30' reproduction antique motor yacht
    "Picnic" 12' Beetle Cat sailboat

Brad,

This looks like a wonderful program. We will be there. Two points: 1. Is there a negotiated rate for the Boars Head Inn? Second: I am talking to an auto transport company about car transport to the East and return to California. I have had one other person indicate interest. I will pursue this if others are interested.

oops! Sorry about #1; didn't get to the appropriate headding. Answered.
    Last edited by Jack English; 02-07-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: new information
    Jack English
    1960 #15229 Since 1972
    1971 MBZ 300SEL 6.3 Since 1983
    1999 MBZ 430E Factory Delivery

Smile

Greetings from California. Teri and I are looking forward to that event but I find that there are already some time constraints. I do not think we can take the time to drive across the USA.

Two choices: Rental Car. Disappointing choice. Ship the car. Preferred choice. Don Drabik has given me the contact information for a reliable closed container shipping company. Is there anyone from the Left Coast interested in combining a load? It is not too early to start making plans. Let me know. If I hear from a couple of people, I'll make the call.

I had a note today from another member from California asking about transport to the East Coast. I have contacted one recommended transport company so far. With 6 cars, we will get a truckload rate. We would be willing to meet somewhere between Northern and Southern California for a common pickup point. Individually, with this company, it may cost about $3800 or so with all fees included. This is entirely enclosed transport, however. Let me know of your interest and I will continue.
    Last edited by Jack English; 02-08-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Combination of earlier posts
    Jack English
    1960 #15229 Since 1972

O.K., let me try again. We have our hotel reservations and airplane reservations, so... we're not going to drive across the country. The price I listed above to ship the car is the cost of round trip for one car, alone. There is a bit of a discount for six at the same time, i.e., a full trailer. I have not yet investigated further with any other companies. I can and will if others are interested. September is only six months away. ANYBODY in California interested?
    Jack English
    1960 #15229 Since 1972

LAST TIME AROUND: I have received no new indications of interest in hiring a shipper from California to Virginia and back. I'll call it quits in a couple of weeks and make separate arrangements. Or not.
    Jack English
    1960 #15229 Since 1972

Bill Ainsworth
    Hi Jack,
    From the members I've talked with down here, all seem to be making plans to fly out, leave the cars at home and go the rental route.
    Any members considering transporting their cars to the convention, please contact Jack ASAP.

Thanks again for doing the leg work and putting the word out.
    Bill

Bill,
    We also have our airline reservations made. We may drop the idea of transporting the car as we are first going to Pennshylvania for a few days. Had thought to drive the car in Pennsylvania than to Virginia and back to Philadelphia.
    Jack English
    1960 #15229 Since 1972