Thread: Name of the Club

Name of the Club

I noticed at the convention (and on the trophies) the use of the Mercedes-Benz logo and the name "Mercedes-Benz 190SL Club America".

Is our club no longer called The International 190SL Group, Inc. ?

Dirk .... The name of the club according to our By-Laws is the "International 190 SL Group".
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Dirk .... Can you post a picture of your trophy? If the incorrect club name was engraved on your trophy, the club should provide a replacement for you if you want the correct club name on your trophy.
    Jim Villers
    1961 190SL, 230SL 5-speed, MGB 5-speed, Porsche 356C; 1967 Porsche 911; 1950 Jeep CJ3A

Jim, both trophies are beautiful. Our hosts Brad and Pam did a great job in selecting them.

The Best of Show Trophy reads "Mercedes-Benz 190SL Club" and the Gold Award reads "190 SL Group" and has the a logo "Mercedes-Benz 190 SL Club America"

The same logo, which is a close copy of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America logo was also printed on the bags that were given out at the 2011 Convention, hence my question about the name of our Group.

I do believe that the engraving of the trophies ought to be done to the same high standards of correctness by which our cars are judged at the concours, and therefore the trophies should read "The International 190SL Group" and that any reference to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America, which has its own prestigious concours d'elegance, should be avoided.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Best of Show 2011 Award.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	19368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MBCA and Gold Awards.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	19369  
    Last edited by dirkdg2602; 10-05-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Attach pictures

2011 Convention Signet

Neither the club name (The International 190 SL Group) or its logo have been changed. The Signets used throughout the 2011 Convention were a special logo designed for the 2011 Convention, and only for the 2011 Convention. The original mandate given to me as the host was to provide for an international convention - the first international convention to be held in this country (even though we now know that our fellow European 190 SL owners are not likely to travel across the pond).

The Signet that was developed was actually provided by Mercedes Benz, and follows the format and appearance approved and utilized by the other 190 SL clubs (Germany, Italy, France, etc.). The Signet was adopted as the convention logo to provide unity with our other 190 SL clubs.

The 2011 Convention Signet is not the Mercedes-Benz Club of America logo - but rather the MBCA logo is also the same format and appearance as approved by Mercedes-Benz.

You may also recall during past Board meetings that I raised a question about our current club name and logo. Outside of our members, few recognize what constitutes "The International 190 SL Group." Many would not recognize our name or logo as a car club, and few would even recognize that the marque is Mercedes-Benz. The Convention Signet clearly illustrates to anyone viewing the trophies that we are a car club, and that the club represents the Mercedes-Benz 190 SL. I believe that the Convention Signet more clearly defines the type of award that was earned, instead of just using the club name and/or logo.

It has been my understanding that the host of the convention was also the determinant as to what and how the trophies were to appear. The club has not yet approved any standardized format for the appearance of these awards. Statements previous to this thread to incur the expense of having the trophies re-made seem premature and not in keeping with club traditions and directions.

I was pleased to receive two email messages from Dirk de Groen which stated:
    "The trophies arrived today and they are beautiful. Thank you very much again." and
    "Thanks for picking so nice tropies this year. It's an honor to have them on the shelf !"

I fail to understand why any questions about the awards were not first directed to me, and instead were posted publicly on the club forum. I was not even aware of this issue until Jim Villers brought it to my attention. The convention Signet - also used on the booklets, briefcases and tumblers given to everyone - seems to me to be a non-issue. It was my desire to provide particularly nice awards for the 2011 convention - awards that would be proudly displayed and cherished. If the Board chooses to direct otherwise, I will be more than happy make any changes.
    Brad Brady
    1955 190SL, 1958 190SL, 1971 280SL, 1989 560SL, 2005 SL500

I am very happy with mine and think you did a good job in the design and logo. I wouldnt think of changing them.

Dean
    Dean Turner
    1960 190SL
    1964 Porsche 356SC

Brad,
    Wow......What's the deal.......A very simple explanation would have worked..........I didn't know any of this was done, as you reference the board meetings........other than board members nobody knows what goes on in the meetings............When asked by Dirk, I thought it was an oversight...................Maybe it is a good reason to start to publish minutes from the board meetings, so every member can read them if they want....................I thought it was a fair question................dave
    Dave Polny
    Collection Manager
    dpolny@wilson-collection.com

Hi guys,
    Since this is a forum discussion and I'm sitting here with nothing else to do, you get my two cents. As Dave says and I agree, "fair question." Dirk's effort that brought him to the winning circle and the resulting award deserves the same detail to attention that he gave his car. The club name is a designation we are all proud of and the honor of having that name on a trophy clearly means a great deal to Dirk. He should be treated like all past winners. The trophies look fantastic and Brad should be congratulated on their selection. However, some things do not lend themselves to discretion, and the name of the club is one of those things. So, no big deal, place the correct name on the award and let's move on.
    Anthony