Thread: Air conditioning compressor installation

Air conditioning compressor installation

I am trying to get an air conditioning system installed in a 1960 190 SL. I know that it will rob HP from the engine, and that we may need to do something with the generator. What I am looking for is a picture, or even better, a drawing or source for a compressor bracket.

Thank you in advance,

Bruce
    Dallas, TX

Re: Air conditioning compressor installation

Quote Originally Posted by brucebe11 View Post
    I am trying to get an air conditioning system installed in a 1960 190 SL. I know that it will rob HP from the engine, and that we may need to do something with the generator. What I am looking for is a picture, or even better, a drawing or source for a compressor bracket.

Thank you in advance,

Bruce
    Dallas, TX
    Bruce,

I would say you are on your own for that one. Unless someone has some obscure template for the Artic-Kar setup, it just will not exist. Definately keep us up to date on the project.

I was looking at possibly using an electrically driven compressor under the dash ... I know, I would loose even more HP in the process ... but It be be completely turned off and probably could be done without a single hole being drilled in the original car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air conditioning.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	23426
    Marc G.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    '57 190SL, Blaugrün (DB268) / Tan (1068). Chassis #121040-7502070
    "Green Hornet" restoration log

Bruce, try the folks at www.vintageair.com. They are here in San Antonio. I took my car by them a few years back, and thought it would be no big deal.
    Bill Streep
    San Antonio, TX

I had Classic Air in Tampa put a system in my 220SE but there's more room in that engine bay. They had to take the heat out though.
    Paul Greenblatt
    1960 190SL
    1960 220SE Coupe
    1966 250SE Cabriolet
    1995 E320 Cabriolet

Bruce,

When I had my 1962 restored a decade back I considered installation of an AC because I also live in Dallas. Tthe original AC's from Frigi-King were installed at the port of entry or the dealer. As best as I recall,they drew 12 H.P. The new electric AC's, at the time I was investigating, drew about 1.5 H.P. We would have had to put the coils in the area where the passenger's feet would go, although modern coils are a lot smaller and more efficient. I had planned to have the vents installed underneat the dashboard and perhaps a bit recessed so they would be as unobtrusive as possible. We never got to the point of figuring out how to install the equipment under the hood. A good AC guy, esp. someone who builds AC's into recreational vehicles and the like should be able to figure it out. I am glad to see someone has a recommendation in San Antonio. You might also be able to get some advice at Arthur's Mercedes in Carrollton, from John. He is familiar with the 190SL as his his father, Arthur. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I would be very interested in knowing.

As far as the generator, I would definitely recommend that you switch to the alternator. I have had no battery or electrical problems since switching to the Club alternator. Should have done it years ago.
    John Goren
    1962 MB 190SL
    Tunis Beige Metallic with Blue Leather
    Chassis No. 023713