Thread: In an ideal world, are Solex or Webers better suited to our cars.

In an ideal world, are Solex or Webers better suited to our cars.

Gentlemen,

I was wondering what the view of this august group is on which carburettors are better for our engines and use with our modern fuels .
    My reason for asking is that I now have my car starting and running beautifully on Webers , thanks to the kindness and guidance of this group, especially from Jim, who has the patience of a saint. But I keep seeing my nice pair of original Solex's sitting on my workshop shelf.

My journey started with apparent troubles with my Solex carbs, so I bought a pair of Webers. However, this did not entirely resolve my issues, but after a lot of exploration and help, I discovered that I had a persistent vacuum leak at the inlet manifold, compounded by a leaky brake booster piston, which also contributed to my inductions problems.

After these issues very resolved, and following some careful re-jetting (Thanks once again Jim) everything came together and I now have a car that runs as perfectly as I think it can.

With the benefit of hindsight, I now know that my Solex problems seem to have been mainly vacuum related, which are now resolved. As a result, I believe that I could possibly go back to the Solex, but only IF there was a clear benefit in performance, torque or drivability to be gained.

The Webers do seem to be easier to maintan, dont leak fuel like my Solexes did and seem a better all round design, however Mercedes engineers did chose them over the Webers for a reason.

Have many of our members swapped back and forth between these two carburattors and have enough experience to know which is better suited to our engines and the way most of us drive our cars these days?

I'd greatly apprecaite anyone's views?

regards
    Jeff
    Jeff Edwards - Perth, Western Australia

Current Garage
    1963 Mercedes 190SL
    1953 Series 1 SWB Land Rover
    2007 Mercedes SL350 (daily driver)
    2017 Audi Q3

Previous Restorations
    1971 Porsche 911T
    1969 Mercedes 250SL Pagoda
    1967 Aston Martin DBS
    1971 BMW 2002 Cabriolet
    1932 Austin 7 Tourer

Re: In an ideal world, are Solex or Webers better suited to our cars.

In my opinion the engine will run fine on any properly sized and jetted carburetor be it weber, solex, mikunni, or even su’s. All have pluses and minuses but I’ve never been able to tell enough difference to matter.

None handle low or high grade fuel differently. And finally, originality is discretionary.

Walt

My two cents- in an ideal world a carb is a carb.

MB used a carb that would work great, the Solex. It is a two stage carb that gives great performance at all speeds. You

Next is conjecture- I do not pretend to read your mind, but to me, since we all know Solex can work great, it appears to me that you made an emotional or an economics decision to go with Weber, not a technical decision. You say you now have a great running car, so you seem to be making an emotional decision to go back to originality. So, in other words, only you can make that emotional decision which carbs you want.
    If you do go with Solex, you will almost certainly need to rebuild them completely, meaning new bushings and barrel repair- last I heard $3500 and up. Now you also have an economical decision to make, which only you can do. If you do not rebuild them, you will probably be constantly fiddling with them to get them "right" but they never will be until rebuilt properly. (maybe some day I will do mine right. )
    Tom D.
    1961 190SL

...however Mercedes engineers did chose them over the Webers for a reason.

Well, after testing different carbs they voted for the Webers because they got them simply to run better. As far as I remember was the decision for the Solex made by the chairman of the board based on his very friendly relationship to the owners of Pierburg/Solex.

Speaking only for me I do like the Weber better; however I do believe both carb version can only be compared when running under perfect conditions - and that, to be fair, requires different manifold for the Weber.

Ben

Germans like to tinker with something to get to perfection, Americans usually like something more practical and economical. Now you decide where Solex and Webers fit into this and obviously which ones fit best for you ;-)
    Johannes Raedeker

'61 190 SL
    '37 230 Cab B