Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Correct Tool to retorque Head bolts

  1. #1
    Registered User jedwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Correct Tool to retorque Head bolts

    My apologies in advance for what will seem to many, to be a really dumb question.

    I need to retorque my head bolts now that I have travelled 100 miles on my recently rebuilt engine. As I dont have the right sized allen key socket for this job, I need to go shopping to get one.

    The Head bolts are M8, so is the correct tool called an M8 Alan Key socket, or is the correct one sized to the the diagonal width of the hex recess?

    In other words, does an M8 Alan Socket fit an M8 Socket Head Bolt?


  2. #2
    Registered User ejboyd5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Southold, NY

    Re: Correct Tool to retorque Head bolts

    Best to get a metric Allen Bit Socket set. They are cheap enough and eventually you will use most of them.

  3. #3
    David Killion PappaWheelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Ludington MI

    Re: Correct Tool to retorque Head bolts

    Hi Jeff,

    Per an M8 SHCS takes a 6mm hex driver.

    ejboyd5 is right, a set of hex drivers (socket bits) is cheap and useful. You NEED one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts