Thread: Very quiet Turn Indicator

Very quiet Turn Indicator

Gentlmen,
    I have the Turn Indictor flasher unit that came with the car when I bought it. It works exactly as it should, however the Clack, Clack, Clack sounds is not really audible when I drive. It's fine when stationary and with the bonnet open, which is not much help, but once driving with the top down, I cannot hear it at all. I have no idea how it sounds with the soft top or Hard top on, as I have not drvien mu car like that yet.

It is correctly mounted in the "C" shaped spring, which is firmly mounted into the firewall metal with the firewall deadening removed from the contact area.
    Modern cars have this under the dash, rather than in the engine bay, which makes a lot of sense.

Has anyone found a solution other than to move the fasher unit inside the car?

Regards
    jeff
    Jeff Edwards - Perth, Western Australia

Current Garage
    1963 Mercedes 190SL
    1953 Series 1 SWB Land Rover
    2007 Mercedes SL350 (daily driver)
    2017 Audi Q3

Previous Restorations
    1971 Porsche 911T
    1969 Mercedes 250SL Pagoda
    1967 Aston Martin DBS
    1971 BMW 2002 Cabriolet
    1932 Austin 7 Tourer

Gerry Lazo 56 190SL owner walazos's Avatar

Re: Very quiet Turn Indicator

Jeff,

I find the big blinking red light to be visible enough that the sound is not necessary for me. I guess you could pull the flasher harness back into the car and mount it under the dash. I wonder if you would hear it with the top down.
    Gerry Lazo
    56 190SL (6500870)

Hi Garry,
    Yes the flashing Red light is there, but I like the reassurance that the indicatro lights are actually on, so the addtion of sound is very reassuring for me.
    I once read that an extra load flasher was available, but cannot recollect where I read that or even when.

The other option (that just came to mind) could be to mount a 12v relay under the dash connected in sefies with the red light. Standard Relays make a quite load click, and if left unconnected to anything esle, could make an inexpensive and easy fix. I'll try that and report back.
    regards
    Jeff

Jeff, I'm interested in how your relay experiment turns out.

I switched to LED turn signals some time ago and so had to swap out the flasher for a solid state one that would handle the LED bulbs. I do miss the clicking noise though.
    Frank Stutzman
    '56 190sl (chassis 01186)
    Done with paint, let the wild re-assembly begin!!!
    Boise, id

If it really bothers you, it would be easy enough to wire a small buzzer or other noise making device into the circuit. Here's a quick look at what's available through Radio Shack if you can still find one of their stores: https://www.radioshack.com/pages/sea...ndify_q=buzzer

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    If it really bothers you, it would be easy enough to wire a small buzzer or other noise making device into the circuit. Here's a quick look at what's available through Radio Shack if you can still find one of their stores: https://www.radioshack.com/pages/sea...ndify_q=buzzer
    Yup, there's a large selection of such things from various vendors.

The problem with choosing such things is that you will need to buy and reject a lot of them. Why? There is no way of knowing what they sound like or how loud they are until you try them.

For my tastes, there would be less trial and error if one start with a mechanical relay.
    Frank Stutzman
    '56 190sl (chassis 01186)
    Done with paint, let the wild re-assembly begin!!!
    Boise, id

Success. Really easy to do.
    Frank was correct that a standard 12 volt mechanical relay was idea. I ran a wire from the blk/green/white wire at the front of flassher unit, to one side of the relay's activation coil (pin 85) and from Pin 86 to a suitably ground point. The relay draws such a tiny amount of current that it makes no differecne to the turn indicator lights at all.
    Secured the relay to a suitable location under the dash, and that's it.
    Nice and easy, simple to remove if you want to, works like a charm, and if you have a spare relay lying around, the cost is Zero.

regards
    Jeff
    Jeff Edwards - Perth, Western Australia

Current Garage
    1963 Mercedes 190SL
    1953 Series 1 SWB Land Rover
    2007 Mercedes SL350 (daily driver)
    2017 Audi Q3

Previous Restorations
    1971 Porsche 911T
    1969 Mercedes 250SL Pagoda
    1967 Aston Martin DBS