Thread: Color engine bay

Color engine bay

Hi all,
    What I do not like is a black engine bay and a black trunk bay, it looks like if you want to hide something. In my opinion it is nicer to spray it in the cars color.
    But according to all documents it should be black.
    My original car color is DB158

What's your opinion, will it decrease in value, if I paint the bay not in black?

Thanks in advance

Re: Color engine bay

I am used to it being black and so like it as such. I would think any other color would look odd, if only because of convention. It is your car, do as you please. If you are planning on painting it for the next owner, paint it what they want, which will probably be black. If you are painting it for you, paint it whatever color you wish. Value is determined by the next purchaser, not you or me. My opinion. Others will vary.
    Tom D.
    1961 190SL

Thanks Tom for your clear answer.

My 60 220SE Ponton has a black trunk and a black engine bay similar to the 190SL. My 68 280SE W111 has a black trunk, but the engine bay is body colored. The underside of the Ponton is black and the W111 is an overspray of body color. Not sure why the switch and may have been a cost savings or a production related issue. Either way, I am used to both of them being that way and anything else would seem odd to me similar to what Tom said. Not that there is anything wrong, it is just different. I remember seeing a picture of a Ponton car with the engine bay painted body color. It was the first thing I noticed about the engine bay. So standing out may not be a good thing. But as it was said, it is your car and do what makes you happy.

Re: Color engine bay might depend on date of manufacture

It is worth keeping in mind that Mercedes did change things over time, so the "correct" colour and finish may be dependent on the car's prodcution date.
    My car is very late (1963) and was manufactured along side the first of the 230SL Pagodas, so were painted at the same time. All the Pagodas had body coloured engine bays, and so did my car, (before it was repainted). The difference was that the engine bay was not top-coated, so appears a slightly satin finish, but certainly the latter cars had body coloured engine bays, as did my 250SL.

regards
    Jeff

what's your chassis number?
    John Lewenauer - Newsletter Editor - Regional Director
    1961 190 SL
    Click here to EMAIL me

I've seen original ponton cars with body colored engine bays but they were sedans.

I will put in my 2 cents... It seems that the color only matters if: 1 - you want to sell your car or 2 - you want to put her into the concurs judging. Other than that, I agree with all the above statements. It is your car... Now as far as personal tastes, I have seen a light colored engine bay and trunk on a 190SL. This car always looks "dirty" with grease and oil stains. Based upon that issue only, I really prefer the black underside... Plus if you use a paint like John Deere Blitz Black, you can get a rattle can to touch up areas as needed... Rob
    Rob Lias
    56, 190SL (00777) (Current Project)
    Virginia

Seeing as it takes no more effort to paint it the right color than it does to paint it something else, I find it hard to feel sorry for anyone who looses money on bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
    It is worth keeping in mind that Mercedes did change things over time, so the "correct" colour and finish may be dependent on the car's prodcution date.
    My car is very late (1963) and was manufactured along side the first of the 230SL Pagodas, so were painted at the same time. All the Pagodas had body coloured engine bays, and so did my car, (before it was repainted). The difference was that the engine bay was not top-coated, so appears a slightly satin finish, but certainly the latter cars had body coloured engine bays, as did my 250SL.

regards
    Jeff
    I don't think so. 230SL production really didn't get started until May of 1963 which was well after 190 production ended in Feb of that same year. There were a couple of pre-production cars made in March of that year but that's hardly assembly line work.